Sign in or
1931-09-28: Rangers 1-1 Celtic, Glasgow Cup SF
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1931 - 1932 | 1931 Pictures|
- Fifer Alec Thomson puts Celtic ahead but Rangers equalise through a soft-penalty conversion after Peter McGronagle had been penalised for contesting a high ball with Sam English.
- Rangers and Celtic supporters follow their club's "instruction" to desist with party-songs and banners at the meeting of the clubs. In the Scottish Football League, Dundee beat Third Lanark and Aberdeen beat Falkirk. In the semi-final of the Glasgow Cup, Celtic drew with Rangers and Queen's Park beat Clyde.
- China and Japan have agreed to endeavour to settle their Manchuria dispute by entering into direct negotiations. If a settlement is not reached the dispute may again come before the League of Nations Council.
- Orient Line Steamers advertise First-Class round voyage tickets to Australia and back from £150 and Tourist-Class from £39 to £100. Passengers will have full use of spacious decks and public rooms on board and the tickets are interchangeable with P. & O. and other lines.
Dawson, Gray, McAulay, McDonald, Meiklejohn, Brown, Fleming, Marshall, English, McPhail, Nicholson.
Falconer, Cook, McGonagle, Wilson, McStay, Geatons, R. Thomson, A. Thomson, McGrory, Napier, Scarff.
Referee: M. C. Hutton (Glasgow).
- Match Report (see end of page below)
ArticlesThe Scotsman - Tuesday, 29th September 1931, page 13
Celtic, 1; Rangers, 1.
RANGERS' PENALTY GOAL
A crowd, of 55,000 at Parkhead yesterday indicated the great interest shown in the meeting of Celtic and Rangers, and there was much curiosity evoked as to whether the instructions issued by the Celtic Club regarding the waving of banners and the singing of party tunes would be obeyed.
It says much for the supporters of both teams that none of the irritating habits of the past was indulged in and the game, taking it all through, was fought out in a sporting spirit.
The penalty kick awarded Rangers shortly after Celtic had scored in the first half was rather severe, as the incident did not appear to merit such an award, but as a claim more deserving was allowed to pass in the second half one cannot find much fault.
Celtic had much the better of the game in the first half, and scored in twelve minutes, A. Thomson dropping a ball neatly away from Dawson's reach. Rangers nearly equalised shortly after, Falconer making a brilliant save, but with twenty minutes gone Marshall converted the award referred to.
McGrory was nearly through later on, and also Napier, but Rangers' defence was very sound, Gray, in particular, excelling. Rangers had the balance of attack in the second half, but they could not score, although Nicholson on one occasion ought to have done so.
Celtic made a desperate effort near the end to snatch a victory, but an equally desperate defence beat them back. The draw was a, fair result, as the attack throughout the game was evenly divided.
Napier was injured, and occupied his old place on the touch line for the last half-hour, limping badly. Neither goalkeeper had a lot to do, but each had one brilliant save. Gray and Cook divided honours at back, and the best middlemen were McStay for Celtic and Brown for Rangers, the latter putting in some splendid forcing work.
McPhail was Rangers best forward, starting all their dangerous movements, a role which A. Thomson carried out for Celtic, whose left wing was very poor after Napier's injury. McGrory and English were well looked after, although both had some good tries.
"The tackling and collective coolness of the Rangers' defence, however, offered a challenge which brooked no denial. A. Thomson did get through to score in a moment of disturbance after Wilson and Napier had spread the defence, and it was left to Marshall to equalise the score from a penalty kick which was awarded against McGonagle, when to most it must have been obvious that the Celtic left back was making a pointed endeavour to rise above English after Nicholson had crossed back the pass from McPhail."
Latest page update: made by BigNan
, Jul 3 2012, 1:05 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by BigNan
87 words added
1 image added
1 image deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page