Sign in or
1938-01-29: Clyde 1-6 Celtic, League Division 1
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1937 - 1938 | 1938 Pictures|
- Celtic did not have it all their own way and only led at the interval by a Crum goal in 9 minutes and Clyde had the majority of the play, but after the interval the rest of the Celtic forwards ran riot, and even though Hope scored in 69 minutes when the score was 0-5 there was no hope of a Clyde come-back, as Matt Lynch promptly restored the bhoys five goal advantage.
- Glasgow's six teams were paired, with Rangers beating Third Lanark 3-0 and Queen's Park and Partick Thistle drawing 0-0.
- 68,000 watched Sunderland draw 1-1 with Arsenal at Roker Park.
- Hughie Gallacher made his debut for Grimsby and showed some of his "old-time skill".
- In Hamburg Max Schmelling won a points victory over former British and Empire Heavy-weight boxing champion Ben Foord in front of a 20,000 crowd. Schmelling complimented the South African on staying the 12-rounds which he said gave him valuable training for his World Championship fight with Joe Louis in the USA next June.
- Despite a long and heroic rescue attempt nine men perished underground when a fire raged through Drumbreck Colliery, Kilsyth.
Brown, Hickie, Willie Hughes, Beaton, Falloon, Weir, Brooks, Wilkie, Hope, Noble, Gillies.
Kennaway, Hogg, Morrison, Geatons, Lyon, Paterson, Lynch, MacDonald, Crum, Divers, Murphy.
Crum, Murphy, MacDonald, Divers, (2); Lynch.
Referee: W. McCulloch (Glasgow).
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by BigNan
, May 23 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by BigNan
74 words added
1 word deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page