Sign in or
1940-01-01: Rangers 1-1 Celtic, League Western Division
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1939 - 1940 | 1939-40 Pictures|
- Jerry Dawson and Donald McKay catch the sports writers' eye.
- Chic Geatons according to the Glasgow Herald: "finest wing-half in the country" hurt his foot at work and will be missed in this game.
- Match switched from Parkhead to Ibrox to accomodate a crowd limited to 40,000 by wartime emergency regulations.
- Willie Maley announces to the press that he will retire in a few weeks.
- Celtic joint bottom of the league.
Dawson; Gray and Shaw; McKillop, Woodburn and Symon; Waddell and Gilmour; Thornton, Venters and Kinnear.
McKay; Hogg and Morrison; Lynch, Lyon and Paterson; Gould, and MacDonald, Carruth, Divers and Murphy.
Referee: —W. Webb, Glasgow.
Attendance: 40,000 (Glasgow Herald 2 Jan states this is a war-time record)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
ArticlesPreview from Glasgow Herald 1st January 1940
Latest page update: made by BigNan
, Saturday, 3:55 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by BigNan
8 words added
1 word deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page