Sign in or
1951-12-01: Celtic 2-1 Partick Thistle, Division A
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1951 - 1952 | 1951-52 Pictures|
- Celtic were second bottom of the table at this time but had enough games in hand to put them second from top if they won them all.
- Signed by Jimmy McGrory from Arthurlie at the start of November, this was Jim Lafferty's debut. McGrory had also signed John McDonald from Petershill. Celtic were also looking at a centre forward from Broxburn called Jimmy Swan.
- The talk of the papers was the conviction of a Blantyre man for attempting to bribe footballers to throw matches. Joseph McCudden had offered Willie Telfer of St Mirren £200 to 'go easy' in a game in November between St Mirren and Partick Thistle.The trial went to the Sherriff Court on 15th February where further allegations were made including offers of £250 to John Lynch and also to Alfons Lesz. They were all allegedly payed and induced to go easy in the game between St Mirren and Airdrie on 27th October 1951. The case went on to the High Court.
- McPhail was out of the team. He had departed on a 'mystery' trip to New York and arrived back at Prestwick at 4am the day before. Though he stated he was 'tired but fit to play' he was not selected for the game.
- A dog got into the game in the first half after the two Celtic goals and it was only with the help of the players, the referee and both linesmen that the dog was finally cornered and removed.
ReviewSaid to have been a reasonable enough game spoiled by the need for points with defenders blootering the ball out of the park. Lafferty on his debut did well enough for a centre forward played out of position at outside left. Peacock caused Thistle all end of trouble from the whistle off. Collins got the opener from a throw in which found Walsh and his intelligent pass allowed Collins to get in behind and score. The second goal came from good interplay and passing from Lafferty and Peacock who both beat their men to set up Walsh who beat Ledgerwood from 12 yards. Collins should have got the third just after but shot over. Rollo, Evans and Baillie were tireless closing down Thistle and they found little ball to work with. Fallon was injured 8 minutes from half time and was stretchered off. This meant Evans had to take over at right back and Collins had to drop back. Fallon came back on for the second half. Stott scored a good goal for Thistle which raised the whole team and Mckenzie started to beat Rollo at will. Walsh started to make some telling runs at and through the Thistle defence. At the death both Peacock and Mckenzie picked up knocks.
Bell; Fallon, Rollo; Evans, Boden, Baillie; Collins, Walsh, Heron, Peacock, Lafferty.
Scorers: Collins (6), Walsh (14)
Ledgerwood; McGowan, Gibbs; Thomson, Davidson, Mathers; McKenzie, Anderson, Stott, Sharp, Walker.
Scorers: Stott (53)
Referee: T S Edwards (Portobello)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
- Match Pictures
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, May 18 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by pachucocadaver
2 words added
2 words deleted
- complete history)
More Info: links to this page