Sign in or
1952-11-22: Airdrieonians 0-0 Celtic, League Division A
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1952 - 1953 | 1952-53 Pictures|
- Charlie Tully faced the referee Committee on the Wednesday before the game, having received three cautions this season. He received a three week suspension. John McPhail was also up in front of them appealing his caution against St Mirren on 1st November. His case was put back.
- Ex-Celtic centre half Willie Corbett was transferred from Dunfermiline to Morton this week.
- Fallon was back; with Tully out Walsh moved across to inside left and Tony Hepburn got another game. Maguire made a debut for Airdrie having just transferred from Blantyre Vics
- The Reserves also played Brechin this day. Their team was: Bell; Meechan, Rollo; McGrory, Jack, Duffy (D); Duncan, Williams, Lafferrty, Morrison, Clifford.
ReviewA fast and furious match. Celtic pushed and pushed for an opening goal and Airdrie furiously defended and hit on the break targetting Joe Baillie who was to give away a good few free kicks. Evans orchestrated play in the absence of Tully. After 15 minutes Baillie pulled a thigh muscle in his right leg which slowed him down and made him even more the target for the Airdrie counters. Eventually he had to go off and Celtic were down to 10 men for the 25 minutes left of the first half. Hepburn in particular pushed for an opening goal relentlessly.
Baillie failed to appear for the second half his injury now diagnosed as a twisted knee. Despite all their best efforts they could not break down Airdrie but the 10 men held out for a goal-less draw.
This was one of Bobby Evans finest games. Once Baillie had to retire he took full control of defense and distribution and was a wall against which Airdrie attacks faltered.
Joe Baillie's injury proved to be serious and he had torn knee ligaments. It put him out for the rest of the season and started a merry-go-round to find a left half that could hold the position and make it his own.
Fraser; Pryde, Cross; Cairns, Maguire, McCulloch; Campbell, McMillan, Baird, Welsh, Seawright.
Hunter; Boden, Fallon; Evans, Stein, Baillie; Hepburn, Fernie, McPhail, Walsh, Peacock.
Referee: R J Smith (Cambuslang)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
- Match Pictures
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, May 18 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by pachucocadaver
43 words added
1 word deleted
- complete history)
More Info: links to this page