Sign in or
1952-12-13: Celtic 5-0 Dundee, League Division A
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1952 - 1953 | 1952-53 Pictures|
- Bobby Collins first game back after injury; Tully back after serving his suispension; Bertie Peack preferred at left half.
- The draw for the First Round of the Scottish Cup was made. Celtic were drawn away to Eyemouth Utd. 18 clubs received byes to the second round. These were Aberdeen, Albion Rovers, Alloa, Ayr Utd, Buckie Thistle, Clyde, Dundee, East Stirling, Forfar, Hamilton Acciers, Hearts, Montrose, Motherwell, Partick Thistle, Stirling Albion, SDt Johnstone, Wigtown
- Celtic were defending the only unbeaten home record in the League.
- John 'Colonel' Shaughnessy, Celtic director for over 40 ears died on December 12th. There was a minute's silence before kick off as a mark of respect.
- Sam Hemple was signed from Glencairn
ReviewThe Dundee team appeared late on the ground to a chorus of disapproval from around the ground. They started the action without really troubling the Celtic goal but on 10 minutes McIlroy hooked away a clearance to Collins who raced away and beat the challenge of Cowan to send over a left foot cross to the far opost where Tully despatched the ball. McIllroy nearly got a second on 15 minutes with a cheeky back heel from a Collins pass. fernie and Collins on the right were causing Dundee no end of problems. Fallon headed out a shot from Stables on 27 minutes. On 34 minutes Walsh had to retire with a leg injury and this made Celtic even more competitive with shots from Evans, Tully and Fallon. Celtic claimed for a penalty in the 35th minute to no avail. At hal;f time it still stood at 1-0 to the Celtic.
Immediately on resumption Celtic got a let off when Boden cleared from under the bar after a wee stramash in the Celtic area saw Hunter drop the ball. Walsh came on afetr 5 minutes gone as outside left but was limping heavily. fernie got the second on 57 minutes prodding home a Collins pass and he soon followed this up 5 minutes later again from a Collins pass. Dundee were down and out now and had little to offer. fernie got his hat trick 12 minutes from the end again from a Collins delivery and McIlroy completed the rout with a loose shot 2 minutes from the whistle.
A thoroughly effective Celtic performance and a great game for Bobby Collins who masterminded the win.
Hunter; Boden, Fallon; Evans, Stein, Peacock; Collins, Fernie, McIlroy, Walsh, Tully.
Scorers: Tully (10), Fernie 3 (57, 62, 77), McIlroy (88)
R Henderson; Frew, Cowan; Gallacher, Boyd, Cowie; Stables, A Henderson, Flavell, Steel, Christie.
- Match Report (see end of page below)
- Match Pictures
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, May 12 2012, 9:01 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by pachucocadaver
6 words added
- complete history)
More Info: links to this page