Sign in or
1953-03-28: Celtic 1-3 Hibernian, League Division A
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1952 - 1953 | 1952-53 Pictures|
- Fallon back yet again early from the second arm break; Walsh and Fernie swappwed sides again.
- Evans Collins and fernie from Celtic and Johnstone, Reilly and Turnbull had all played in a Scottish League -v- English League game at Ibrox 3 days before which saw the Scottish League win 1-0.
- This loss dropped Celtic down another position in the League to seventh in a disastrous month where they failed to win a game and saw them tumblwe from second to seventh position.
- The dowager Queen Mary had died and was lying in state and the flags were flown at half mast with the players all wearing black armbands.
ReviewA very unhappy Celtic support slow handclapped the team's performance and time wasting from Hibs in the second half. For long periods of the second half the Hibernian goal took a pummeling with Celtic having 10 corners to 1 against. Evans, McPhail and Fernie all played well but the incision that would lead to goals from inside the 18 yard line just wasn't there. Johnstone had scored from a header on 22 minutes and Reilly, who was by far the League's top scorer, got a second from a shot after a move between Turnbull and Smith. Fernie had the ball in the net on 74 minutes but the referee had already blown for a penalty for handling. Collins scored the penalty. After a tremendous Collins shot which was just over, Hibs countered and Johnstone scored at the near post with a cheeky backheel.
Walsh had a poor game. Collins stopped running far too often. McGrory spent most of his time tussling with the Hibs goalkeeper Younger and got very little out of him, and Tully was a shadow of his normal play (partly explained by the fact that he was probably carrying an injury from the East Fife game).
Hunter; Haughney, Fallon; Evans, Stein, McPhail; Collins, Walsh, McGrory, Fernie, Tully.
Scorers: Collins (75 pen)
Younger; Govan, Clark; Gallacher, Paterson, Ward; Smith, Johnstone, Reilly, Turnbull, Combe.
Scorers: Johnstone 2 (23, 85), Reilly (43)
Referee: J A Mowat (Burnside)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, May 15 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by pachucocadaver
6 words added
2 words deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page