Sign in or
1953-04-18: Celtic 1-1 East Fife, League Division A
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1952 - 1953 | 1952-53 Pictures|
- The last game of the League this season. Celtic finished their season before anyone else. Everyone else had games in hand. And in fact the major event of this Saturday was the England - Scotland international at Wembley which finished 2-2 and in which Celtic's only partaking was Willie fernie as a travelling reserve.
- East Fife were looking for maximum points as they were in a 'to the death' fight for the League with Rangers and Hibernian.
- Fallon returned to defense at the expense of Frank Meechan, who had had a poor game against Aberdeen; Stein was out and John Jack made a reappearance; Hepburn came back in as outside right with Bobby Collins stepping in one; Fernie was still out and now joined by McPhail.
- During the second half a bottle was thrown out of the stands onto the pitch and landed close to the north side linesman who brough it to the referee's attention. Cel;tic were duly called to appear before the Referees Committee on the 6th May.
ReviewA far more workman-like performance from Celtic after two dire games, but with basically the same result - toothless in front of goal. Peacock and Tully performed well in tandem together but Walsh again missed easy chances. Peacock did have the ball in the net but was definetly offside when he received a McGrory header. However Walsh finally opened the scoring for Celtic after just over the half hour when Hepburn carried on an Evans pass and sent over a perfect cross. Walsh completely fluffed his first shot but he was lucky to get a second bite and made no mistake this time.
Celtic's lead lasted two minutes into the second half before Fleming crossed to gardiner who headed directly against Bonnar who failed to hold the ball and Gardiner put the rebound away. celtic faded badly after the equaliser and had top hold on at the end.
As such and in the same way as this game, Celtic's season pretty much fizzled out after a good start and promising prospects.
Bonnar; Haughney, Fallon; Evans, Jack, McGrory; Hepburn, Collins, Walsh, Peacock, Tully.
Scorers: Walsh (32)
Curran; Emery, S Stewart; Christie, Finlay, McLellan; J Stewart, Fleming, Bonthrone, Gardiner, Matthew.
Scorers: Gardiner (48)
Referee: J A Bissett (Edinburgh)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, May 18 2012, 12:42 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by pachucocadaver
9 words added
1 word deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page