Sign in or
1953-09-26: Celtic 3-0 Aberdeen, League Division A
|Match Pictures | Matches:1953 - 1954 | 1953-54 pictures|
- Following the scenes at Ibrox the SFA Referees Committee (which was actually made up of non-refereeing officials from the Scottish clubs) met, as well as the Glasgow magistrates and the Police Chief Constable and a serious consideration was given to the idea of licensing every ground in Scotland in the same way that cinemas and theatres were. Magistrates would then have the ability to withdraw a license and terminate play at that ground. The Magistrates took their cause to the Secretary of State for Scotland to see if the government would introduce this legislation.
- McPhail was out having gone over on his ankle making his way to the ground, thus making way for Mochan - Duncan going to centre forward and Mochan going to outside left partnering Tully.
- The 'rejuvenation' of John McPhail continued with his selection for the full Scotland team to play Ireland in October. Evans was also selected and Walsh made the reserves. Tully was also chosen for Ireland.
- Billy Craig of St Anthony's was given a trial and signed
ReviewThe game kicked off and a pattern of fast play was immediately established with Duncan just missing out on a Tully cross.In the eigth minute Mitchell was adjudged to have pushed Walsh over when he was going through with the ball. Collins gave Martin no chance with the penalty. The Dons played good football on the deck but rarely troubled the Celtic defense. Tully and Mochan regularly swapped positions. As the game went on both sides made more mistakes with play becoming broken. Almost on half time Mitchell again fouled Collins to give away a second penalty.
Aberdeen had a cracking free kick at the start of the second half which smacked off the crossbar from 20 yards. But generally play in the second half was unremarkable. In the 67th minute Mitchell completed his hatrick and gave a third penalty away. Collins duly obliged
Bell; Haughney, Fallon; Evans, Stein, Peacock; Collins, Walsh, Duncan, Tully, Mochan.
Scorers: Collins 3 (8 pen, 44 pen, 67 pen)
Martin; Mitchell, Caldwell; allister, Young, Glen; leggat, Smith, Buckley, Hay, Hather.
Referee: A McEwan (Edinburgh)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, May 22 2012, 8:24 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by pachucocadaver
21 words added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page