Sign in or
1953-12-05: Stirling Albion 2-1 Celtic, League Division A
|Match Pictures | Matches:1953 - 1954 | 1953-54 pictures|
- McPhail was out injured and Sammy Hemple came in for his senior debut. Tully and Fallon were still on the long term injured list and Alec Boden was playing in the Reserves.
- Striling Albion had just signed Jimmy Allan from Stenhousmuir.
- The attendance and the participation of the travelling Celtic supportb was curtailed this weekend due to a nationwide bus strike in Scotland.
- The Celtic Reserves played Hearts Reserves with a team of Bell, Boden, Jack, Reid, McIlroy, Baillie, Higgins, Rowan, Duncan, Newman, McMillan. Of these Ian Reid and Jimmy Rowan had yet to make his senior debut and Newman would not go on to have a senior debut.
ReviewCeltic were the better team and had most of the play but yet again it was a question of failing to put the ball away despite lots of pressure. The Herald described the tactics as 'finishing fatuousness'. Mochan was particularly wasteful but most of the forwards had chances that they should have scored with rather then shooting wide or over. Stirling Albion played on the break but were always dangerous and Bonnar had to pull off some excellent saves to keep the score down to 2-1. Thge Binos first goal came when meechan conceded a free kick and the headed clearance came straight back to Bain who shot home first time. In the second half Peacock got an equaliser shooting directly from 20 yards. Stirling Albion got a second goal when a Bain shot was neatly headed past a wrong-footed Bonnar.
Jenkins; Ferguson, Whitehead; Bain, Milligan, Smith; Chalmers, Williamson, Kelly, Rattray, Allan.
Scorers: Bain (44), Kelly (67)
Bonnar; Haughney, Meechan; Evans, Stein, Peacock; Collins, Fernie, Hemple, Walsh, Mochan.
Scorers: Peacock (48)
Referee: D Gerrard (Aberdeen)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, May 23 2012, 12:44 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by pachucocadaver
22 words added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page