Sign in or
1954-10-02: Celtic 6-3 Kilmarnock, League Division A
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1954 - 1955 | 1954-55 pictures|
- Bonnar returned in goal; a return for Mike Conroy at left half replacing Bertie Peacock who was away on international duty for Ireland; Tully was still injured and the experiment with Boden at inside right instead of Bobby Collins continued.
- Kilmarnock were managed by a Celtic legend Malky MacDonald who had been a great player and servant for Celtic between 1932 - 45. Kilmarnock were newly promoted to Division A and MacDonald was aiming to produce a young team with all the right football attributes.
- Celtic signed a goalkeeper in the previous week; Dick Beattie from Duntocher Hibs. He would make his debut in the 55-56 season.
- Adam Imrie the Kilmarnock centre forward was playing his last game before reporting for National Service.
ReviewForty five seconds and Kilmarnock were in front. It took a further four minutes for Celtic to level as Jimmy walsh latched onto a Boden clearance. - so a rip roaring start then! A minute later Killie had a goal disallowed for some infringement. Both teams were going hammer and tongs. despite the ever-blue Alan breck's assessment below this was an excellent game for Celtic. And Killie, for a young side were keen and very pleasing on the eye - as one might expect from a manager of the stock of MacDonald.
Bonnar; Haughney, Fallon; Evans, Stein, Conroy; Higgins, Boden, Walsh, Fernie, Mochan.
Scorers: Walsh (6), Higgins 2 (23, 40), Mochan (56), Fernie 2 (59, 71)
Brown; Collins, Rollo; Russell, Thyne, Middlemass; Mays, Murray, Imrie, Curlett, Henaughan.
Scorers: Curlett (1), Mays (65), Henaughan (66)
Referee: D J Murphy (Wishaw)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
ArticlesEvening Times, 2/10/54
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, Jul 4 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by pachucocadaver
117 words added
2 words deleted
1 image added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page