Sign in or
1955-09-09: Partick Thistle 0-2 Celtic, Glasgow Cup
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1955 - 1956 | Pictures: 1955-56 Pictures|
- In a largely reconstructed side due to injury Frank Whyte came in at right half, Evans continued at centre half and James Docherty was moved to outside right, 17 year old McVittie was back in at inside right, Bobby Collins moved to inside left. Stein, Walsh and Fernie were injured. The injury line was the most extensive it had been for some time at Celtic with Bonnar, Fallon, Stein, Conroy, Higgins Collins, Fernie, McAlindon, McIlroy, Smith and Walsh all under treatment, recovering or carrying knocks. This was a third of the full time contracted playing staff.
- The win set up a Glasgow Cup final with Rangers on the 26th September, two days after the teams met in the league.
- After the game Celtic were denied the services of another player when James Docherty left on training for National Service.
- Bobby Collins and Bobby Evans had been in the Scottish league against Irish league game at Ibrox on 7th September. The Scottish League won 3-0.
ReviewAn old fashioned display of Celtic grit.
Partick Thistle made lots of errors to allow Celtic with a largely reconstructed and young team to score to goals. The young players all did well and 18 year old Beattie had a good game in goal. Tully's goal came from a mis-kick from full back Kerr. Mochan's goal came from a tight angle with the ball rebounding off the post, along the line and in off the other post.
Ledgerwood; Kerr, Gibb; Harvey, Thomson, Mathers; McKenzie, McInnes, Sharp, Wright, McPartland.
Beattie; Haughney, Meechan; Whyte, Evans, Peacock; Docherty, McVittie, Mochan, Collins, Tully.
Scorers: Tully (24), Mochan (83)
Referee: W Brittle (Glasgow)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
- Match Pictures
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, Jul 19 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by pachucocadaver
25 words added
- complete history)
More Info: links to this page