Sign in or
1956-05-09: Celtic 0-0 Third Lanark, Glasgow Charities Cup
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1955 - 1956 | Pictures: 1955-56 Pictures|
- The game was switched from Cathkin Park to Celtic Park. Billy McPhail who had just been signed on a free from Clyde made his unofficial debut.
- Losing the toss left Celtic to leave on the appointed day for the final, the 12th, for their tour of Ireland.
- Ivor Broadis was playing as a guest for Third Lanark having come up from Carlisle Utd.
- Celtic chairman, Robert Kelly, was elected vice president of the SFA.
ReviewThird Lanark reached the final against Partick Thistle having won none of their two games and having 'defeated' both Rangers and Celtic on the toss of a coin, and having done it without scoring a goal, having picked up an own goal at Ibrox. Celtic had most of the play with their half backs playing well, but the forward line continued to miss the target such that a goal, if it had arrived, would probably have done so by accident. Fernie was described as 'over-indulgent' and Walsh as 'insipid'. Kennedy had a good game as did Higgins.
Beattie; Haughney, Kennedy; Evans, Jack, Peacock; Higgins, Fernie, W McPhail, Walsh, Tully.
Robertson; Smith, Gordon; Kennedy, Brown, Hendrie; Workman, Craig, Wark, Broadis, Murray.
Referee: J A Mowat (Burnside)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
- Match Pictures
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, Sep 3 2012, 9:06 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
No content added or deleted.
- complete history)
More Info: links to this page