Sign in or
1957-05-01: Rangers 1-0 Celtic, Glasgow Charity Cup
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1956 - 1957 | 1956-57 pictures|
- A 7:00pm kick-off at Ibrox under the floodlights.
- Celtic announced the touring party to go to America. They were Bonnar, Byrne, Donnelly, Fallon, Fernie, Higgins, Jack, MacKay, McMillan, McPhail, Meechan, Mochan, Peacock, Ryan, Smith, Tully with Collins and Evans to join later after playing for Scotland. Not included in the list were goalkeeper Dick Beattie and right back Mike Haughney (who had played every game this season). Mike Haughney, despite pressing from Celtic officials to reconsider, chose to retire from football at the end of the season, at the age of 30. This was his last game for Celtic. He would emigrate to the USA at the same time as Celtic were on tour in America.
- Celtic signed 16 year old centre forward Jim Conway from Coltness Utd
- Elsewhere Alec Boden, who had left Celtic to captain Ayr Utd who were relegated, was put on the transfer list with a fee of £1000.
ReviewMike Haughney's last game; Tully restored to the right wing; Jim Sharkey given a run out at centre forward; Bertie Auld, back from his loan with Dumbarton given a start.
"This was no game to eradicate the memories of a season's mediocrity in Scottish football."
Niven; Shearer, Caldow; McColl, Young, Logie; Scott, Morrison, Murray, Baird, Hubbard.
Scorers: Baird (37)
Bonnar; Haughney, Fallon; Evans, Jack, Mochan; Tully, Fernie, Sharkey, Collins, Auld.
Referee: W Brittle.
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, Oct 25 2012, 7:36 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by pachucocadaver
38 words added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page