Sign in or
1959-08-08: Raith Rovers 2-1 Celtic, League Cup
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1959 - 1960 | 1959-60 Pictures|
- And so onto a new season with the usual start with the Group Sections of the League Cup. Celtic were drawn in a group with Raith Rovers, Partick Thistle and Airdrie.
- No new senior players had been added to the Celtic roster during the close season. Alec Boden had been appointed as Fitness Coach at Celtic Park. Celtic had also purchased barrowfield to be used as a training ground.
- Charlie Tully had just departed from Celtic Park withdrawing without ceremony at the conclusion of his contract on the 31st July.
- From the team that finished the 1958-59 season, in came Billy McNeill at right back. The only other change was new Bhoy Tommy Mackle starting on the left wing. Bertie Auld was in disgrace having been sent off during the Holland - Scotland international on the 27th May.
- The Celtic Reserves played Raith Rovers Reserves at Celtic Park. The team was Beattie, Donnelly, Kennedy, Crerand, Kurila, Clark, Carroll, Jackson, Conway, Divers, Chalmers. At half time the score was 3-1 to Celtic with goals from Conway (2) and Divers. They eventually won 8-2.
ReviewA dull slow game by most accounts. Raith were awarded a penalty after a good move saw a shot bklocked illegally. MacFarlane scored from the spot. Just before half time Raith extended their lead with a goal from Conn. Tommy Mackle's goal in the secon half came from a dropped cross which he tapped home.
Drummond; Polland, MacFarlane; Young, McNaught, Leigh; Kerray, Conn, White, McKinven, Urquhart.
Scorers: MKacFarlane pen (33), Conn (45)
Haffey; McNeill, Mochan; MacKay, Evans, Peacock; Smith, McVittie, Byrne, Colrain, Mackle.
Scorers: Mackle (60)
Referee: G S Bissett (Edinburgh)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, Apr 6 2013, 6:49 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by pachucocadaver
4 words added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page