Sign in or
1959-09-12: Celtic 3-4 Heart of Midlothian, League Division 1
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1959 - 1960 | 1959-60 Pictures|
- Hearts came off the back of a 1-1 draw against Motherwell in the League Cup quarter finals first round.
- Bertie Auld had recovered from his ankle and leg knock sustained against Rangers. Part-timer Mike Jackson was assessed on the Wednesday and made the team. John Donnelly, on a break from National Service replaced Jim Kennedy at left back. In a tactical switch Bertie Auld was moved to outside right with Tommy Mackle at outside left and Matt McVittie dropping down to the Reserves.
- Still out was Neil Mochan who was scheduled to play for the Reserves to get match practise. Stevie Chalmers was also back in the Reserves and Bobby Carroll and Charlie Gallacher were also nearly ready to resume playing. The Reserve team that played Hearts Reserves winning 1-0 was Fallon, Curran, Mochan, Crerand, Kurila, Clark, Henderson, Smith, Lochhead, O'Hara, McVittie. The Combined Reserves drew 4-4 with Morton away.
- Inside Scottish football, Willie Thornton (ex-Rangers and then current manager of Dundee) was chosen to take over as manager at Partick Thistle. The position became vacant after the sudden death of manager Davie Meiklejohn.
- Outside of football, Prime Minister Harold McMillan of the Conservative party, after meeting the Queen at Balmoral, dissolved Parliament and called an election for October 8th.
- In a nationwide poll, 63.5% voted for no more nationalisation of private industries, 18.5% called for more nationalisation and 17.9% were 'don't knows'. (in a poll of nearly 2 million people)
ReviewDown 3-0 at half time the terraces started with the slow hand clapping. This changed for the second half fight back.
Celtic started well and Conway should have grabbed an early goal. Celtic made the early running but Hearts gradually hauled themselves back and went ahead when Hamilton hit a volley from the 18 yard line. On seventeen minutes they went further ahead when a cross was headed home by Murray. On 21 minutes the slow hand claps started when Haffey blundered a ball to Young who waltzed it around the keeper to score. Celtic's early confidence had drained away and they held on till half time.
Celtic again started well and after 6 minutes a move between Jackson and Conway saw Bertie Auld finish from 18 yards. Divers pulled another back from a Conway pass and Conway himself got an equaliser 2 minutes later. In trying to save Marshall was injured and he had to retire. Milne went in goal and Hearts held out till Marshall returned on 83 minutes. Back to full strength, Hearts nabbed a winner 2 minutes from time.
Haffey; McNeill, Donnelly; MacKay, Evans, Peacock; Auld, Jackson, Conway, Divers, Mackle .
Scorers: Auld (51), Divers (68), Conway (70)
Marshall; Kirk, Thomson; Bowman, Milne, Cumming, Smith, Murray, Young, Blackwood, Hamilton.
Scorers: Hamilton (10), Murray (17), Young (21), Blackwood (88)
Referee: W Harvie (Dalry)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by pachucocadaver
, Apr 8 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by pachucocadaver
2 words added
1 word deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page