Sign in or
1964-09-23: Leixoes Matosinhos 1-1 Celtic, Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1st Rd
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1964 - 1965 | 1964-65 Pictures|
- Leixoes is pronounced 'Laysh-oyes' in English
- In a bad tempered game both Ian Young and Steve Chalmers are ordered off.
- Oliviera of Lexioes is also ordered off by the eccentric French referee Barbaran.
- John Clark and Charlie Gallagher had bite marks after the game courtesy of the opposition players.
- Celtic chairman Robert Kelly calls the Chalmers ordering off the worst decision he has ever seen in football.
ReviewThis game was played with a light crimson coloured ball which was described as being a 'kiddies' ball.
The French referee, Antonio Barberan, ruined the match with an eccentric display of over fussy refereeing. In 85 minutes he sent off Chalmers after he challenged the keeper from a Johnstone corner and after keeper Rosas had rolled around Chalmers was harshly ordered off.
Ian Young followed him after a tackle on Oliviera and the Lexoies player then head butted Young in the groin. Young pushed him away and was unlucky to be ordered off also.
Celtic chairman Robert Kelly was incensed by the referee but decided not to make an official protest.
Murdoch equalised when Celtic had became accustomed to the lighter ball.
Rosas Geraldino Raul Pereira Moreira Marcal Esteves Wagner Oliviera Ventura Mateus
Scorer: Esteves 6
Fallon Young Gemmell Clark Cushley Kennedy Johnstone Murdoch Chalmers Gallagher Lennox
Scorer: Murdoch 31
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by joebloggscity
, Monday, 11:31 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by joebloggscity
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page