Sign in or
1966-01-12: Celtic 3-0 Dinamo Kiev, ECWC
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1965 - 1966 | 1965-66 Pictures|
- This was the game during half time when 16 year old George Connelly went round the entire perimeter of the Celtic Park pitch doing keepy uppy with the ball and didn't drop the ball once! The huge Celtic Park crowd looked on in awe of his talent and temperament.
- Celtic play in change strip of all green.
- Bobby Murdoch gives one of the first glimpses of his powerful play as a right half.
- Jim Craig now training full time with first team despite still being a student at Glasgow University.
- This was biggest crowd to attend a European game at Celtic Park up to this date.
- Kiev shocked Celtic officials by turning up at celtic Park to train at 7.30 in the morning on day of game.
- Kiev were in the middle of a winter shutdown and had not played since mid November.
- This was an excellent Kiev side who would go on to win USSR championships three times.
- This was first season the USSR allowed its clubs to enter into European competition
ReviewCeltic did not miss their influential captain McNeill and his replacement John Cushley was an excellent defensive barrier with John Clark.
Kiev looked sharp in the opening stages but their experienced keeper Bannikov blundered in 27 minutes when he allowed a 35 shot by Gemmell to slip in at the post. Shortly after that John Hughes sent a penalty over the bar much to the despair of the Celtic fans.
In the second half Murdoch scored with two powerful shots and hit the bar with a third as Celtic continued to dominate
After the game the Kiev coach Viktor Maslov complained about the German referee.
This was Celtic's 24th successive game without defeat and 64,000 fans paid £20,000 to watch them. It was clear that Jock Stein and his men were going places.
Simpson, Craig, Gemmell, Murdoch, Cushley, Clark, Johnstone, Gallagher, McBride, Chalmers, Hughes.
Gemmell 27 Murdoch 64,84
Bannikov, Shchegolkov, Sosnikhin, Ostrovsky, Myedvid, Turyanchick, Bazilevitch, Syeryebryannikov, Puzach, Biba, Khmelnitsky.
Referee: C. Baumgarten (W. Germany).
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, Apr 4 2013, 5:30 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
1 image added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page