Sign in or
1968-04-30: Dunfermline Athletic 1-2 Celtic, League
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1967 - 1968 | 1967-68 Pictures|
- Dunfermline's record attendance of 27,000 at East End Park although estimates say 30,000 plus in stadium.
- Estimated 50,000 Celtic fans travel to Dunfermline. Police estimate that up to 25,000 Celtic fans were locked out and missed game.
- Thousands more locked out and several gates are knocked down to allow fans entry. 49 people injured and treated for their injuries.
- Gates were closed 15 minutes before kick off.
- Game stopped twice to allow fans to come down from enclosure roof. Jock Stein and George Farm appealed for fans to come down from floodlights.
- Procurator Fiscal orders an enquiry after overcrowding and injuries.
- Dunfermline had won the Scottish Cup three days previously against Hearts and proudly paraded the cup at half time.
- George Connelly makes first team debut as a substitute.
- This win gives Celtic and Jock Stein their 3rd successive League title.
Celtic's victory gives Stein's side 3 Leagues in a row although the over crowding in the crowd makes the headlines. Aberdeen's victory at Ibrox the previous Saturday meant Celtic had to lose by a ridiculous margin to lose title.
"The nearest either team (Celtic or Rangers) has come since to an unbeaten season was Rangers's near miss of 1967-68. Davie White's team's only defeat of the season came in their last match, at home against Aberdeen, a 3-2 reverse that saw them hand the title to Jock Stein's Celtic. After the game the Rangers striker Alex Ferguson – the club's leading scorer that season with 23 goals – was approached by a frustrated fan who toe-punted him viciously in the shin before wandering off. "I couldn't really blame him," said Ferguson. "I felt as sick as he did.""
Guardian Dec 2011
Martin W Callaghan Lunn McGarty Barry T Callaghan Lister Paton Gardner Robertson Edwards
Goals: Gardner 27
Simpson Craig Gemmell Murdoch McNeill Brogan Johnstone Lennox Wallace Gallagher (Connelly) Hughes
Goals: Lennox 47, 72
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, Apr 6 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
19 words added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page