Sign in or
1971-09-15: B1903 Copenhagen 2-1 Celtic, European Cup1st Rd
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1971 - 1972 | 1971-1972 Pictures|
- Big crowd turns out to watch Celtic train in days before the game.
- Celtic sensationally beaten by the part time Danes.
- Stein fuming at lacklustre performance. Celtic were 10/1 ON to win !
- Gordon Marshall snr makes a rare appearance in the Celtic goal.
- Copenhagen goalie Birger Jensen played for FC Bruges in the 1978 European cup final at Wembley against Liverpool.
ReviewCeltic turned in a mediocre performance in Copenhagen and no matter how hard they tried they could not get going. Johnstone was so bad he was subbed at half time and only Murdoch and Macari were in the usual gear.
Evan Williams was dropped after his lapses at Ibrox with veteran Gordon Marshall given a rare outing after being given a free by Hibs in the summer.
Copenhagen scored in 13 minutes after Johansen had been set up by Mathieson and scored with a fine shot. Macari then equalised after a great run and cross by Callaghan. Johansen scored again from a good cross by Nielsen and then Celtic piled on the pressure with Dalglish going close and Jensen making a great save from Murdoch's powerful shot.
In the second half Wallace livened the Celtic attack and Macari twice headed narrowly over before Callaghan shot wide with Celtic's last effort.
Stein reckoned this was Celtic's worst ever performance in European competition.
Teams1903: Jensen Nielsen Petersen Westergaard Anderssen Sjolbberg Thygesssen Mathiesen Forrsing Aabling Johansen
Scorers: Johansen 13, 24
Celtic: Marshall Craig Gemmell Murdoch McNeill Connelly Johnstone (Wallace 46) Dalglish Macari Callaghan Lennox Subs: Williams Hughes
Scorer: Macari 20
Referee: E. Bergstad (Norway)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, Apr 17 2013, 7:47 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
135 words added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page