Sign in or
1971-11-03: Sliema Wanderers 1-2 Celtic, European Cup 2nd Rd
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1971 - 1972 | 1971-1972 Pictures|
- Celtic win 7-2 on aggregate.
- Celtic play in the Ta' Qali stadium which barely had any grass on it.
- Players enjoy the warm November weather.
- Steve Hancock plays his only game for Celtic.
- This was Tommy Gemmell's last ever game as a Celtic player.
- Celtic take the newly signed Dixie Deans to Malta even though he is ineligible to play.
- 20 year old Celt Kenny Dalglish is called up for Scotland for his first cap.
- Game had a 2pm kick off.
- Spectators crammed into surrounding buildings to watch the game as the stadium had no roof.
ReviewSliema shocked Celtic by scoring in the opening minute but Celtic soon got the hang of the dry, hard, dusty conditions which were more akin to a red ash park in Glasgow. The wonderfully named Ronnie Cocks scored for Sliema. The Sliema fans lit up noisy fireworks with delight after the goal.
Celtic were obviously fitter but didn't look happy on the hard surface that made the ball bounce higher than usual. Dalglish and Connlly were impressive and Harry Hood equalised after Callaghan had headed on a Lennox cross.
In 48 minutes Williams rolled a bye kick to Connelly who turned and fired the ball just past his own post and a fuming Williams. Just afterwards young Stevie Hancock made his Celtic debut when he replaced Vic Davidson.
Despite a series of fine saves Pearson was eventually beaten by a fine Lennox header from a Hood cross.
After that Celtic slowed the game down by playing possession football and keeping the Sliema players at bay.
TeamsSliema: Pearson Borg J Aquilana Serge Micallef Briffa Vassalo Darmanin Cocks Falzon E Aquilina
Scorer: Cocks 1
Celtic: Williams Craig Gemmelll Dalglish McNeill Connelly Callaghan Macari Hood Davidson (Hancock) Lennox Subs: Marshall Hay Brogan Cattanach
Scorers: Hood 42 Lennox 55
Referee: A Komiaddes (Cyprus)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, Apr 18 2013, 8:05 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
194 words added
11 words deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page