Sign in or
1974-05-13: Liverpool 1-4 Celtic, Testimonial
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1973 - 1974 | 1973-1974 Pictures|
- 10,000 Celtic fans travel to Liverpool.
- Ron Yeats earns a bumper cheque for £30,000.
- The great Bobby Charlton of Manchester United guests for Celtic - and scores.
- Both teams parade the FA cup and Scottish cup before the match.
- Celtic players throw balls into the Kop before kick off.
- Celtic fans outsing the Kop and taunt them with 'Ee-aye-adio the Kop cannae sing'.
- Liverpool legends Hunt and St John turn out for Liverpool.
ReviewA gala occasion although both sides were under strength, Celtic without McGrain, Dalglish, Johnstone, Hay, Connelly and Deans with the home internationals and World Cup approaching and Liverpool without Hughes, Keegan, Toshack and Clemence.
Charlton scored with a trade mark powerful shot and Lennox was sharp up front.
This was a great PR exercise for Celtic and both Stein and Shankly were happy with the game and the crowd.
Liverpool: Lawrence Smith Lindsay Thompson Smith Cormack Hall Hunt St John (Tynan) Heighway Callaghan
Goal: Tynan 85
Celtic: Connaghan (Hunter) McNamara Brogan Murray McNeill McCluskey Hood Davidson (Wilson) Charlton Callaghan Lennox
Goals: Charlton 17 Davidson 29 Lennox 36 Hood 53
Referee: G Hill (Leicester)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, Nov 3 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
8 words added
2 words deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page