Sign in or
1975-08-30: Rangers 2-1 Celtic, Premier Division
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1975 - 1976 | 1975-1976 Pictures|
- This was Celtic's first ever Premier League game.
- Rangers unfurled their League flag before the game but only after a storm of protest from Celtic fans and authorities who feared trouble at the game.
- Willie Waddell's wife Hilda unfurls the flag.
- At half time Glen Daly hosts a fun version of It's a Knockout with Rangers and Celtic fans. Trouble broke out at the Rangers end of the ground and police had to move in to trestore order.
- 84 arrests made during the game in which warm weather and alchohol is said to have been a troublesome mixture.
- The attendance of 69,594 was a Premier League record which held until 1988 when 72,000 watched Celtic v Dundee.
ReviewCeltic did not deserve to lose this game and only slack defending cost them. At 1-0 they were in control and should have killed the game and even when they went 2-1 down they rallied at the end and had chances to equalise. Danny McGrain was in truly inspirational form.
With five minutes left sub Andy Ritchie sent a powerful header at goal and the ball stuck between McCloy's legs. It was that kind of day.
| Rangers: McCloy, Forsyth, Greig, Jardine (O'Hara), Jackson, McKean, McLean, MacDonald, Stein, Johnstone, Young |
|Celtic: Latchford, McGrain, MacDonald, P McCluskey, Lynch, McNamara (Connelly), Dalglish, Edvaldsson, Callaghan, Wilson, Lennox (Ritchie)|
|Rangers scorers : Johnstone (56), Young (68)|
|Celtic scorer : Dalglish (42)|
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, Apr 28 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
44 words added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page