Sign in or
1977-11-02: SWW Innsbruck 3-0 Celtic, European Cup
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1977 - 1978 | 1977-1978 Pictures|
- Played at neutral venue of Lehen Stadion, Salzburg after Innsbruck were punished for crowd trouble.
- Celtic stay in the hotel in which Richard Nixon had stayed in previously as US president.
- Celtic played in unusual all yellow shirts, socks and shorts.
- McAdam, Munro and Dowie are all ineligible to play.
- Celtic bring German striker Dieter Knapper back with them to Scotland on trial.
- Lynch is the first Celt to be ordered off in Europe since Bobby Lennox against Olympiakos in 1974.
ReviewCeltic totally collapsed in the first half against a lively Austrian side who had constant pace up front which the Celtic defence could not live with. Innsbruck had a number of the Austrian team which would impress in the 1978 World Cup in Argentina.
Celtic never got going and the defeat could have been humiliating had it not been for Peter Latchford. This was one of the darkest days in Celtic's European history.
Glavin missed their best chance in 63 minutes to make a game of it when his shot hit the side netting and Lynch's late sending off compounded their misery.
TeamsSSW Innsbruck:- Koncillia, Kreiss, Constantini, P Schwarz, Pezzey, Stering, Zanon, Forstinger, Welzl, W Schwarz, Oberacher
Goals:- Welzl (4), Sterling (22), Oberacher (27)
Celtic:- Latchford, Aitken, Lynch, Glavin, MacDonald, Casey, Doyle, Edvaldsson, Craig, Burns, Wilson Subs: Baines Kay McLaughlin Lennox McWilliams
Sent off:- Lynch
Ref:- Gusoni (Italy)
- Match Report (see below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, Yesterday, 8:37 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
9 words added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page