Sign in or
1979-09-19: Partizan Tirana 1-0 Celtic, European Cup
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1979 - 1980 | 1979-1980 Pictures|
- European Cup, First Round, First Leg. KO 19:30 local time, 17.30 UK time.
- There is some discrepancy on the date of the first game against Partizan. Some sites and sources have it as 19/9/79 and others have 10/9/79. The correct date is 19/9/79.
- There was also some debate prior to the away leg as to whether Danny McGrain would have to remove his beard. Apparently in Albania men were not allowed to sport beards for religious reasons but Danny`s beard survived the razor.
- Instead of a pennant the Albanians presented Celtic with a book on Albanian architecture before the match.
- Desmond White made a plea in the Scots' press for an Albanian interpreter for the second leg. Eventually Celtic are contacted by Pauline Phillips, a London lecturer, who speaks Albanian, much to their relief.
- Scottish press men not allowed to travel to report on the game.
- 10,000 Albanians turned out to watch Celtic train.
- Celtic took the precaution of inviting SFA secretary Ernie Walker in their travelling party.
Celtic went down narrowly and were unlucky not to equalise in the second half in the searing Albanian heat.
Doyle and Lennox had goals disallowed and Partizan's goal came when Latchford was blinded by the low sun.
TeamsPartizan Tirana:- Musta, Millani, Hyfi, Spiro, Berisha, Ragami, Satedini, Lame, Breta, Murati, Shyqyriu
Goal:- Muraiti (35)
Celtic:- Latchford, Sneddon, McGrain, Aitken, McAdam, Conroy, Provan, Davidson, McCluskey (Doyle 57), MacLeod, Lennox Subs: Bonner Burns Edvaldsson MacDonald
Ref:- Zlakanos (Greece)
Venue:- Qemal Stafa Stadium, Tirana, Albania
- Match Report (see below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, Sep 24 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
1 image deleted
- complete history)
More Info: links to this page