Sign in or
1980-03-05: Celtic 2-0 Real Madrid, European Cup
|Match Pictures | European Cup | Matches: 1979 - 1980 | 1979-1980 Pictures|
1st Leg of two, Quarter-finals
- Celtic first Quarter-final since 1974 in the European Cup.
- All 67,000 tickets sold within days of their sale in January 1980.
- Our last great victory in the European competition till the 2000's.
- Bobby Lennox and Real captain Pirri are sole survivors from Di Stefano's testimonial in 1967.
- England boss Ron Greenwood is in the stand to watch Laurie Cunningham.
- Real turn out in unfamiliar all blue kit.
- STV bid to show the game live but the Celtic board refused saying that they would be letting down the capacity 67,000 crowd who had already bought their tickets.
ReviewLatchford kept Celts in the game in the first half as Real impressed. However Celtic blew them away in the second half and only a disputed disallowed goal from McAdam prevented Celtic taking a 3-0 lead to Madrid.
MacLeod and Aitken were tireless in midfield and Provan worked the flank well. Danny McGrain used his considerable experience to keep Real danger man Laurie Cunningham quiet.
Both Celtic's goals came through Sneddon overlaps. For the first goal ramon spilled Sneddon's shot for McCluskey to score and for the second Sneddon delivered a fine cross for Doyle to run and haed in spectacularly.
Celtic had grown stronger as the game went on and given their inexperience at this level this a magnificent result. The fans rushed home to watch extended highlights on STV.
TeamsCeltic: Latchford, Sneddon, McGrain, Aitken, MacDonald, McAdam, Provan, McCluskey, Lennox, MacLeod, Doyle
Subs: Bonner, Lynch, Davidson, Casey, Burns
Goals: McCluskey (52), Doyle (74)
Real Madrid: Ramon, Sabido, Pirri, Benito, Camacho, Steilike, Angel, Del Bosque, Juanito, Santillana, Cunningham
Subs: Miguel Angel, Isidro, Rincon, Roberto, Martinez
Att: 67,000 all ticket
Ref: Latanzi (Italy)
- Match Report (see below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, Dec 21 2012, 6:17 PM EST
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
5 words added
5 words deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page