Sign in or
1980-08-04: Celtic 0-0 Man Utd - Danny McGrain Testimonial
- Danny McGrain Celtic Testimonial
- Both teams wear players' names on the back of jerseys as an experiment but it doesn't catch on.
- Lou Macari made captain of Manchester United on the night.
- Danny give lap of honour with the Scottish Cup but refuses to take a penalty in the penalty shoot out.
- Man Utd players raise Macari shoulder high at end in front of the Jungle.
- Went to penalties, Man U won 3-1!
ReviewA crowd of 45,000 gathered at Parkhead on August 4th 1980 to give their thanks to an all time Hoops great as Celtic took on Manchester United in the Danny McGrainTestimonial. The game finished in a 0-0 draw but the visitors took home the trophy (pictured) after winning a penalty shoot-out 3-1.
Thomas, Grimes and Greenhoff scored for United and MacLeod for Celtic. McCluskey, McAdam and Provan missed for Celtic from the spot.
Bonner Sneddon McGrain Aitken MacDonald McAdam Provan Sullivan McGarvey MacLeod McCluskey
Subs: Conroy Burns Doyle Nicholas Halpin
Man Utd -
Bailey Nicholl Albiston McIlroy Moran Bucan Coppell J Greenhoff Jordan Macari Grimes
Subs: Roche Ritchie Thomas Sloan McGarvey
- Match Report (see below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, May 1 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
6 words added
1 word deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: 1980 celtic celtic fc celtic football celtic games celtic matches celtic testimonials danny mcgrain kerrydale kerrydale street manchester united testimonials
More Info: links to this page