Sign in or
1980-08-23: Celtic 1-2 Rangers, Premier League
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1980 - 1981 | 1980-81 Pictures|
- First Glasgow derby game since the riot Cup Final in May
- Rangers first ever Premier Division win at Parkhead - their second would not come until 1989
- First Rangers league win at Parkhead since 1974
- First time Tom McAdam plays against brother Colin in an Old Firm game.
- Danny McGrain in magnificent form
- McAdam and Burns miss sitters in the first half
- Controversy surrounds disallowed Murdo MacLeod goal in the second half which would have given Celric a 2-1 lead. Linesman flagged McGarvey offside who was not interfering with play.
ReviewCeltic did not deserve to lose this game. In the first half bad finishing had cost them dearly and in the second Murdo MacLeod had a fine goal controversially disallowed which would have given Celtic a 2-1 lead and this incident was covered in the media for weeks after.
With time running out Alex Miller scored the winner with a spectacular looping shot over Bonner.
Bonner, Sneddon, McGrain, Aitken, McAdam, MacLeod, Provan, Sullivan, McGarvey, Burns, McCluskey
Celtic scorer: Burns (47)
McCloy, Jardine, Miller, Forsyth, Jackson, Bett, MacDonald, (Cooper) Russell (Johnstone), McAdam Redford, Johnston
Rangers scorers: Bett (61), Miller (89)
Ref: E Pringle
- Match Report (see below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, May 1 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
5 words added
2 words deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page