Sign in or
2011-10-20: Rennes 1-1 Celtic, UEFA Cup
|Match Pictures | Matches: 2011 - 2012 | 2011-2012 Pictures|
- Celtic go third in group.
- Concede a crazy goal due to Cha-Du Ri. Rennes had no shots on target first half but still were one up!!!!
- Match overshadowed by doumentary by BBC on Rangers owner Craig Whyte (he's a crook and dodgey geezer etc etc).
- Lennon on tenterhooks as drew last game 3-3 in league after being 3-0 down v Killie. Not easy time for Lennon.
ReviewBest performance away in Europe for a very long time. Still can`t help but feel a wee bit disappointed we never won.
Stokes peformed the lone striker role far better than he has done previously, he really should have scored with the first chance though, done well to create it for himself.
Wanyama had another beast of a game, this guy looks like a player. Kayal looked to be on his way back to something resembling his best, got stuck in when needed and broke up countless Rennes attacks.
Even the much maligned Loovens had a decent game.
We can definitely beat this mob at Celtic Park and then it comes down to the Madrid game, we could sneak through this group yet.
- 01Benoit Costil
- 03Mavinga (Theophile Catherine 77)
- 15Kana Biyik
- 12Boukhari (Ekoko 58)
- 20Brahimi (Pitroipa 59)
- 26Vincent Pajot
- 16Abdoulaye Diallo,
- 02Theophile Catherine,
- 28T Doumbia,
- 11Cha Du-Ri
- 18Ki Sung-Yeung (Bangura 90)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
- Voting Thread
- Result Thread
- Winner -
- 2011-12 Winners
- Rennes 50%
- Celtic 50%
Attempts on target
- Rennes 5
- Celtic 5
Attempts off target
- Rennes 7
- Celtic 3
- Rennes 9
- Celtic 2
- Rennes 8
- Celtic 10
Rennes 1-1 Celtic: Second-half Joe Ledley strike seals point for Neil Lennon’s side to keep faint qualification hopes aliveSPL giants now occupy third spot after leapfrogging hosts after the former Cardiff City man recorded was on hand to share the spoils in France
By Matt Scott, Goal.com
Joe Ledley's header cancelled out Cha Du-Ri's calamitous own-goal as Celtic drew 1-1 with Rennes in the Europa League.
The home side had made several changes to their side, star midfielder Yann M'Vila was left out of the side entirely.
Neil Lennon's men made a decent start to the match, as South Korean midfielder Ki's shot brought a fine save from Rennes keeper Costil following good work from James Forrest.
The Breton side quickly took control of the game however, Abdul Boukari's pace down the right hand side was troubling Celtic's make-shift left back Ledley as he broke into the box but was tackled.
Rennes captain Mangane then headed into the side netting before more good work from Boukari found Youssouf Hadji who flashed a shot across the box which was deflected out for a corner.
Federic Antonetti had found a suitable gameplan and Boukari was again key to a Rennes chance, powering past Ledley and backheeling to Julien Feret who played the ball to Brahimi but the young midfielder scooped his shot over.
Celtic had a glorious chance to score just moments later, Anthony Stokes was played down the left and turned inside Mangane but when one on one with Costil, lacked composure and hit his shot straight at the 'keeper.
The Hoops were then made to pay in calamitous circumstances. Ki's poor free-kick was claimed by Costil who hit a huge clearance looking for Tettey. The kick was too long and Cha cut the ball out but under no pressure his back pass went past Forster and into the Celtic net.
The own-goal gave Rennes further momentum and Hadji headed just over from Tettey's cross but they couldn't create any further chances and Celtic will have been glad to get to half-time having just conceded one goal after a cautious first period.
An improvement was required from the Hoops but they were unable to impose themselves on the early stages of the second half, Tettey broke into the Celtic area and was only denied by a last-gasp Loovens tackle.
Boukari had an opportunity following Hadji's blocked header from Feret's corner but could only slash over.
Rennes left-back Chris Mavinga then had a great chance to double his side's lead, losing Cha after a one-two with Feret but Fraser Forster narrowed the angles well to deny the former Liverpool trainee.
The changes to Rennes' side looked to be taking their toll as some of the fringe players tired and they made a double change on the hour.
The home-side seemed to lose momentum after this and Celtic carved a few goal-scoring chances in quick succession, first Cha squared the ball to Stokes in the box but the Irishman fired straight at Costil once again.
Cha then had a chance to atone for his earlier howler and brought a good save from Costil down to his right, Ki followed the ball in but could only shoot over when presented with a great chance to score.
The game had now opened up with Celtic and Rennes trading attacks and counter attacks with the pace of the French side looking most dangerous.
It was Celtic who grabbed the next goal however, Charlie Mulgrew's whipped free-kick was glanced home by Ledley to level the scores.
Rennes almost hit straight back as their two substitutes combined, Ekoko's ball across the six yard box was a whisker away from Pitroipa who was sliding in, Mulgrew then had an effort direct from a free-kick which sent Costil scrambling across his goal as the ball flashed past the post.
The home side hinted at a more defensive approach late in the game as Mavinga was replaced by Catherine to provide fresh legs in the Rennes defence.
It was Rennes who created the next chance however, Ekoko's cross was deflected into the air and Hadji's outlandish over-head kick brought a sharp save from Forster, shaky defending from Mulgrew also gave Rennes an opening which Pitroipa and Feret failed to take advantage of.
Neither side were looking to settle for a draw, Mangane denied Stokes from getting in on goal with a fabulous last-man tackle, Pitroipa's fresh pace was also looking dangerous but Loovens and Mulgrew were standing firm.
The game continued at a frantic pace throughout the closing stages, Pitroipa got through on Forster with seconds to spare but the giant Newcastle loanee kept the ball out to send Neil Lennon's side home with a point.
Rennes1-1CelticPage last updated at 18:52 GMT, Thursday, 20 October 2011 19:52 UK Ledley's header levelled the match to give Celtic a point Celtic recovered from a bizarre own goal to claim a Europa League point against Rennes in France.
Cha Du-Ri's misplaced passback handed Rennes the lead on the half-hour, moments after Rennes goalkeeper Benoit Costil had denied Anthony Stokes.
But Joe Ledley's header levelled the match on 70 minutes.
Charlie Mulgrew came close with a free-kick for the visitors and Youssouf Hadji's acrobatic shot was briliantly saved by Celtic's Fraser Forster.
With Udinese beating Atletico Madrid in the evening's other Group I fixture, Celtic and Rennes are two points behind the Spaniards and five behind the Italians.
Kader Mangane headed wide for the home side and Ki Sung-Yung's drive was comfortably held by Rennes goalkeeper Benoit Costil early on.
An excellent opportunity presented itself to the visitors in the 25th minute as Anthony Stokes escaped his marker to open up a shooting chance.
The striker's effort was on target but Costil was able to push the ball over the crossbar. Cha unintentionally gave Rennes the lead in the first half And Celtic were soon paying the price for that miss and a complete misunderstanding in their own defence as Rennes were gifted the opener.
Cha mopped up a simple long ball under no pressure and tried to pass the ball back to his goalkeeper.
But Forster did not seem to be expecting the defender's intervention and the ball trickled past him into the net.
The hosts looked for a quick second and Alexander Tettey's back-post cross was headed over by Youssouf Hadji.
Chris Mavinga played an excellent one-two with Julien Feret to go through on Forster's goal early in the second half but the keeper's sizeable frame did enough to block the full-back's shot.
Stokes had another chance after being picked out in the box by Beram Kayal but Costil again made the save.
Cha then got in behind the Rennes defence and forced a save from Costil and the ball ran into the part of Ki.
The South Korean tried to place the ball into the gaping goal but his effort cleared the crossbar.
But the visitors were soon level as Mulgrew's superb inswinging free-kick was flicked into the net by the head of Ledley.
Substitute Jonathan Pitroipa was inches away from converting Jires Ekoko's cross as Rennes looked to regain the lead and Mulgrew swerved his next free-kick just wide of the home goal.
A stunning overhead kick by Hadji was matched by Forster's terrific save after the Rennes striker pounced on a loose high ball.
And Forster made another fine block in injury time as Pitroipa was denied after having latched on to a long ball.
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:17 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+1:29 Corner taken by Jires Ekoko from the left by-line.
- 90:00+1:07 Jonathan Pitroipa takes a shot. Save made by Fraser Forster.
- 90:00+0:02 Charlie Mulgrew challenges Jonathan Pitroipa unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jires Ekoko crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 88:44 Fraser Forster takes the free kick.
- 88:44 Substitution (Celtic) makes a substitution, with Mohamed Bangura coming on for Sung-Yeung Ki.
- 88:44 Alexander Tettey challenges Victor Wanyama unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 88:01 Jires Ekoko produces a cross, save by Fraser Forster.
- 87:01 Foul by Victor Wanyama on Jonathan Pitroipa, free kick awarded. Jean Kana Biyik restarts play with the free kick.
- 86:41 The ball is swung over by Kevin Theophile Catherine, Glenn Loovens manages to make a clearance.
- 84:43 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jean Kana Biyik by Victor Wanyama. Jean Kana Biyik takes the free kick.
- 82:18 Julien Feret produces a cross, save by Fraser Forster.
- 79:48 Julien Feret takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Glenn Loovens.
- 79:25 Shot by Youssouf Hadji. Save by Fraser Forster.
- 77:21 Julien Feret takes a shot. Fraser Forster makes a save.
- 76:01 Substitution Kevin Theophile Catherine replaces Chris Mavinga.
- 74:41 Kader Mangane challenges Anthony Stokes unfairly and gives away a free kick. Charlie Mulgrew shoots direct from the free kick.
- 74:20 Jires Ekoko takes a shot. Save by Fraser Forster.
- 73:37 Vincent Pajot gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Anthony Stokes. Free kick taken by Victor Wanyama.
- 72:21 Foul by Glenn Loovens on Youssouf Hadji, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Vincent Pajot.
- 71:30 The ball is crossed by Youssouf Hadji.
- 69:50 Assist on the goal came from Charlie Mulgrew.
- 69:50 GOAL - Joe LedleyRennes 1 - 1 Celtic Joe Ledley scores a headed goal from inside the penalty box. Rennes 1-1 Celtic.
- 69:07 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Du-Ri Cha by Chris Mavinga. Centre by Charlie Mulgrew,
- 68:03 Julien Feret takes the outswinging corner, Header by Vincent Pajot from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 64:29 Du-Ri Cha takes a shot. Benoit Costil makes a save. Effort on goal by Sung-Yeung Ki from just inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 63:50 Anthony Stokes takes a shot. Save by Benoit Costil.
- 61:02 Unfair challenge on Alexander Tettey by Victor Wanyama results in a free kick. Kader Mangane takes the free kick.
- 60:01 Shot from just outside the box by Youssouf Hadji misses to the left of the target.
- 57:35 Substitution Jonathan Pitroipa on for Yacine Brahimi.
- 57:35 Substitution Jires Ekoko on for Abdoulrazak Boukhari.
- 57:01 Inswinging corner taken by Julien Feret from the left by-line played to the near post, Headed effort from inside the area by Youssouf Hadji misses to the left of the goal.
- 56:54 Chris Mavinga crosses the ball, Du-Ri Cha gets a block in.
- 55:41 Corner taken by Julien Feret.
- 55:15 Chris Mavinga takes a shot. Save by Fraser Forster.
- 53:56 Corner from the right by-line taken by Julien Feret, Abdoulrazak Boukhari conjures a left-footed shot from inside the six-yard box that clears the bar.
- 51:23 Charlie Mulgrew gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Youssouf Hadji. Free kick crossed by Vincent Pajot.
- 48:42 Yassine Jebbour sends in a cross.
- 45:33 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Sung-Yeung Ki, clearance by Kader Mangane.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 44:30 The match has reached half-time.
- 44:23 Youssouf Hadji is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Charlie Mulgrew takes the indirect free kick.
- 40:04 Anthony Stokes is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Benoit Costil takes the indirect free kick.
- 37:40 Du-Ri Cha is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Direct free kick taken by Benoit Costil.
- 36:51 Free kick awarded for a foul by Alexander Tettey on James Forrest. Free kick taken by Joe Ledley.
- 34:12 Free kick awarded for a foul by Yassine Jebbour on James Forrest. Sung-Yeung Ki crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left channel, Julien Feret makes a clearance.
- 29:57 GOAL - Du-Ri ChaRennes 1 - 0 Celtic Du-Ri Cha scores an own goal from 25 yards. Rennes 1-0 Celtic.
- 28:30 Jean Kana Biyik challenges Anthony Stokes unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Sung-Yeung Ki, Benoit Costil makes a save.
- 24:39 Sung-Yeung Ki produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 24:18 Corner taken by Sung-Yeung Ki from the left by-line, Kader Mangane makes a clearance.
- 23:54 Anthony Stokes takes a shot. Save by Benoit Costil.
- 22:57 Effort from just outside the area by Yacine Brahimi goes over the target.
- 22:14 Beram Kayal gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Alexander Tettey. Kader Mangane restarts play with the free kick.
- 21:41 Anthony Stokes concedes a free kick for a foul on Alexander Tettey. Alexander Tettey restarts play with the free kick.
- 18:01 Corner taken right-footed by Julien Feret from the right by-line, Vincent Pajot takes a shot. Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Julien Feret from the right by-line, Glenn Loovens fouled by Kader Mangane, the ref awards a free kick. Fraser Forster takes the direct free kick.
- 16:53 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Julien Feret by Beram Kayal. Julien Feret takes the free kick.
- 15:01 Short corner taken by Julien Feret.
- 12:52 Handball decision goes against Sung-Yeung Ki. Julien Feret restarts play with the free kick.
- 9:52 Victor Wanyama concedes a free kick for a foul on Yacine Brahimi. The ball is delivered by Julien Feret, Kader Mangane has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the target.
- 9:04 Yassine Jebbour crosses the ball, clearance by Joe Ledley.
- 1:08 Sung-Yeung Ki takes a shot. Save by Benoit Costil.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Latest page update: made by joebloggscity
, Dec 19 2011, 7:28 AM EST
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by joebloggscity
9 words added
6 words deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page