Showing 9 posts
Big_Mick
Big_Mick
HELP!
May 8 2010, 9:05 AM EDT | Post edited: May 8 2010, 12:10 PM EDT
This article was posted up on the green brigade forum today and has caused a bit of a stir to say the least.

A good few posters have decided that we, as the fans, need to do something about this.

We have already got the ball rolling by contacting the Celtic Supporters Association and the Celtic Trust, so hopefully we can get something positive from them.

We have already had a lot of replies on the forum from people offering to put in man hours in order to sort out the grave site and possibly replace the headstones for both him and his family as a tribute. We have also had a good few people offering to donate money to help us on our way.

Obviously once we hear back from the CSA and trust, we will need to get into contact with Mr Maley's family to ask for their blessing and also to gauge what they would like us to do. If we can get the money together and enough volunteers, we will do everything to their wishes.

I thought it was best to give KDS the heads up on what we are proposing and to give everyone the opportunity to chip in with any help or suggestions, as it was you who brought this to our attention.

It may be worth your while signing up to the forum and having a look at the thread on the main celtic page, greenbrigade.proboards.com or alternatively I will be able to speak on the main KDS forum from monday.

As I said it's still early days but if anyone could help in anyway it would be much appreciated.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: appeal grave maley memorial willie
auldbhoy
auldbhoy
1. RE: HELP!
May 8 2010, 9:12 AM EDT | Post edited: May 8 2010, 9:12 AM EDT
It's already being discussed on our main forum, in here, http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/8285298/1/

Good luck with this Mick.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

MaleysSpirit
2. RE: HELP!
May 8 2010, 11:53 AM EDT | Post edited: May 8 2010, 11:55 AM EDT
Mick, thanks for the response and I am sorry I have been unable to reply sooner, a one year old daughter and three year old son being the main culprits. I am pleased at the response and am absolutely sure noone at the club had any idea about the condition of his grave, I think East Renfrewshire Council may have some responsibility in this too as the whole cemetery is becoming run down. I had no idea how to contact anyone at the club directly so after a wee bit consideration we decided this would be the best way to go about it as it would reach the widest possible audience and garner a collective response hopefully.
I have been trying to dig around to find out if he has any existant family and am hoping contact via email with someone called "Dydo" who posted on a cemetery/memoriam site and is Tom Maleys (Willies brother) great grandchild might bear fruit.
In the meantime I have the Cemetery Section and Lair numbers which will help anyone interested in visiting or restoring the site, but having viewed it personally would expect it would take a monumental sculptor to replace the cross on its plinth......are there any good masons in the ranks? :>)
Do you find this valuable?    
joebloggscity
joebloggscity
3. RE: HELP!
May 8 2010, 11:59 AM EDT | Post edited: May 8 2010, 11:59 AM EDT
Maley, get a login on the main forum @ www.kerrydalestreet.co.uk and if you post in the thread on this there, you'll get all your answers plus lots of assistance. Do you find this valuable?    
Big_Mick
Big_Mick
4. RE: HELP!
May 8 2010, 12:16 PM EDT | Post edited: May 8 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
"Mick, thanks for the response and I am sorry I have been unable to reply sooner, a one year old daughter and three year old son being the main culprits. I am pleased at the response and am absolutely sure noone at the club had any idea about the condition of his grave, I think East Renfrewshire Council may have some responsibility in this too as the whole cemetery is becoming run down. I had no idea how to contact anyone at the club directly so after a wee bit consideration we decided this would be the best way to go about it as it would reach the widest possible audience and garner a collective response hopefully.
I have been trying to dig around to find out if he has any existant family and am hoping contact via email with someone called "Dydo" who posted on a cemetery/memoriam site and is Tom Maleys (Willies brother) great grandchild might bear fruit.
In the meantime I have the Cemetery Section and Lair numbers which will help anyone interested in visiting or restoring the site, but having viewed it personally would expect it would take a monumental sculptor to replace the cross on its plinth......are there any good masons in the ranks? :>)"
That's magic mate, As I said, there will be no shortage of volunteers or people willing to donate I am sure. I think the main hurdle will be trying to raise enough cash to undergo a full tidy up job. In an ideal world, it would be great to replace the old headstones and cross with something fitting in memory of both Willie and his family.
I'm sure we could do it though!
Keep in touch if you have any developments mate, and I'll certainly give you a shout when we hear back from the CSA & Celtic trust.

MinceCFC
5. RE: HELP!
May 8 2010, 12:54 PM EDT | Post edited: May 8 2010, 12:54 PM EDT
Meant to reply to this thread, but made an arse of it and started a new one - could an Admin please delete it?

Please keep us posted about this. I suppose the first question is, how much money are we talking about and who do we need to get permission to do it from? Anyone any idea of cost?

Thread on CM for subscribed members:

http://www.celticminded.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909061

MaleysSpirit
6. RE: HELP!
May 8 2010, 2:16 PM EDT | Post edited: May 8 2010, 2:16 PM EDT
"Maley, get a login on the main forum @ www.kerrydalestreet.co.uk and if you post in the thread on this there, you'll get all your answers plus lots of assistance."
Joe I already have a log in on kds, though not a regular poster, I tried to change my username to the above but keep getting errors so will use the Mrs. email address to set up a new log in in this name.
Dianogah
Dianogah
7. RE: HELP!
May 10 2010, 2:04 AM EDT | Post edited: May 10 2010, 2:04 AM EDT
Hi folks

Just an update.

I'm in the process of trying to speak to the other website to get a donating thing sorted
In an ideal world each site will get their money their own way and we'll find some way of adding the money together
WeeShamrock
WeeShamrock
8. RE: HELP!
May 13 2010, 2:59 PM EDT | Post edited: May 13 2010, 2:59 PM EDT
Good luck with this excellent project. Many of the club's founders and early leading lights are buried in Dalbeth and their memorials are in good condition but that of John Glass is in need of major repair also. Hopefully this is the start of a concerted campaign to restore the resting places of those who stand tall in our club's history. Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)