Sign in or
1967-03-01: Vojvodina Novi Sad 1-0 Celtic
|Match Pictures | Matches:1966 - 1967 | 1966-67 Pictures|
- 5000 Slavs turn out to watch Celtic training sessions including the Vojvodina manager Boskov.
- Celtic players later claim the Vojvodina floodlights are the best they have ever experienced.
- Vojvodina coach Boskov travelled 30 miles on the night before the game just to watch Celtic train.
- 5.30pm kick off (BST)
- Celtic players ordered by Stein to stay in bed until lunch time on day of game to conserve energy.
- Inter Milan knocked out Real Madrid in the Bernabeau on this night.
ReviewThere were injury doubts regarding Jimmy Johnstone but the wee man took his place on the Celtic right wing at kick off.
For 45 minutes Celtic were brilliant in defence as they soaked up massive periods of pressure from the big strong Slav side. The defence was so good that Simpson had barely a save to make all game.
Celtic were angry when the referee refused to stop the game to allow treatment for the injured Murdoch who was on the ground for some time.
After half time Celtic became more adventurous and Auld gave Lennox the chance to shoot only for Pantelic to make a fine save. Shortly after McNeill went on a run and shot just wide of the goal.
Vojvodina's goal was a tragedy for the hard working Gemmell when he ****** a pass to Clark which allowed Stanic a chance to beat Simpson from close in.
Celtic held out against further pressure with McNeill having a magnificent game in defence.
TeamsVojvodina: Pantelic Aleksic Radovic Brzic Nesticki Dakic Sekeres Rakic Radoslav Dordic Stanic
Scorer: Stanic 69
Celtic: Simpson Craig Gemmell Murdoch McNeill Clark Johnstone Lennox Chalmers Auld Lennox
Referee: P Schiller (Austria)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Preview of the game, The (London) Times, 28th February 1967.
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, Apr 4 2013, 5:57 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
1 image added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page