Sign in or
1967-10-04: Dinamo Kiev 1-1 Celtic, European Cup
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1967 - 1968 | 1967-68 Pictures|
- Celtic, reigning European Champions, are ignominiously knocked out in the first round 3-2 on aggregate.
- Kiev fans protested outside the Ukrainian parliament because tickets were being sold outside of Ukraine.
- £1 tickets being sold for £15 on the black market
- Controversy abounds as the Italian referee orders off Murdoch and disallows a good goal by Hughes which would have saw Celtic through.
ReviewThe Italian referee Sbardella was the villain of the piece in Kiev for Celtic.
In 59 minutes he harshly sent off Murdoch for a second yellow after the Celtic player had thrown the ball to the ground in frustration after a foul was given against him.
With 10 men Celtic attacked freely and in 61 minutes Lennox scored from a narrow angle from Auld's chipped free kick.
Celtic thought they had done it when Hughes scored after the Kiev keeper had blundered by dropping the ball at his feet. The referee disallowed this for a foul on the keeper which was a terrible decision.
Byshovetz scored in 90 minutes after Kiev had caught a tiring Celtic side on the break.
Celtic were out but there was much anger towards the Italian referee's performance.
Bannikov Schegolkhov Sosnichin Levchenko Krulikovsky Turvanchik Byshevetz Sabo Medvid Serebranikov Pusach
Scorer: Byshevitz 90
Simpson Craig Gemmell Murdoch McNeill Clark Johnstone Lennox Wallace Auld Hughes
Referee: Sbardella (Italy)
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, Apr 4 2013, 6:12 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
1 image added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page