Sign in or
1971-05-08: Celtic 1-1 Rangers, Scottish Cup Final
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1970 - 1971 | 1970-1971 Pictures|
- Celtic were strong favourites and a newspaper poll of 16 Scottish first division captains were split 14-2 in favour of a Celtic victory.
- With the Ibrox disaster still fresh in the memory the Hampden capacity was given as 134,000 with several Glasgow councillors protesting it was too high. On the day over 120,000 attended the game.
- Rangers lost Dave Smith and Sandy Jardine with injury in the days leading up to the game.
- Newspapers reported 180 arrests during the game.
ReviewRangers started well and had Celtic pressed back. Lennox used his speed to break through and open the scoring and after that Celtic clicked into gear and missed several chances.
Celtic protested that Derek Johnstone's late equaliser was offside but the goal stood.
After the match Jock Stein was said to be critical of his forwards and indicated that changes would be made for the replay.
Rangers' Alex Miller bravely played on until full time after breaking his jaw.
Williams Craig Brogan Connelly McNeill Hay Johnstone Hood Wallace Callaghan Lennox Sub Macari Scorer: Lennox 40
McCloy Miller Mathieson Greig McKinnon Jackson Henderson Penman (D Johnstone) Stein MacDonald Johnston
Scorer: D Johnstone 87
Referee: Tiny Wharton
- Match Report (see end of page below)
Latest page update: made by joebloggscity
, Feb 6 2013, 6:20 AM EST
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by joebloggscity
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page