Sign in or
1971-05-12: Celtic 2-1 Rangers, Scottish Cup
|Match Pictures | Matches: 1970 - 1971 | 1970-71 Pictures|
- Celtic win the double for the third time under Jock Stein.
- Bobby Murdoch failed a fitness test and George Connelly took his place with Davie Hay in central defence.
- First cup winners medals for Williams, Hay, Hood, Callaghan and Macari.
- Rangers had not lost a cup final replay since 1905 but Stein said - 'Anyone who beats us in the cup will have to do it at the first attempt'.
- Celtic's 16th trophy under Jock Stein.
Jock Stein made one change from the first game with Macari replacing Wallace and this paid off with Macari opening the scoring. Rangers elected to give a debut to young Jim Denny at right back as Jardine and Miller were injured. Celtic attacked constantly down the Rangers right side with both Callaghan and Johnstone on that flank and both goals came from that area of the field in a two minute first half burst.
Jimmy Johnstone was magnificent througout and gave one of his career defining performances in the hoops. The press were raving about his display for days after. Only slack finishing in the second half prevented a bigger margin of victory. Johnstone stated in the days after that he could not sleep after the game for the adrenalin in him and took his dog for a walk at 5am due to the buzz he still had from the game the previous night.
Celtic fans remember this game fondly as one of Jinky's great games. Young players Connelly, Hay and Macari all had fine games also.
Williams Craig Brogan Connelly McNeill Hay Johnstone Hood (Wallace) Macari Callaghan Lennox
Goals: Macari 24 Hood pen 25
McCloy Denny Mathieson Greig McKinnon Jackson Henderson Penman (D Johnstone) Stein MacDonald Johnston
Goal: Craig OG 58
Referee: Tiny Wharton
- Match Report (see below)
Latest page update: made by st.anthony
, Feb 6 2013, 12:18 PM EST
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by st.anthony
1 image added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page