Sign in or
2011-08-13: Celtic 5-1 Dundee Utd, SPL
|Match Pictures | Matches: 2011 - 2012 | 2011-2012 Pictures|
- Motherwell top having played one more game; Celtic with maximum pts; Rangers win 2-0 away.
- Celtic concede first goal of season.
- Injuries mount. Izzy out for around 4-6mths; Kayal injured midweek; Hooper injured during game etc.... Brown jsut back from suspension but got knock in international matches during last week.
ReviewEasy win, despite Dundee Utd having their chances. Hoping for more of the same to come.
Injuries racking up....
- 18Ki Sung-Yeung; yellow card
- 10Stokes (McCourt 78)
- 15Commons (Forrest 63)
- 88Hooper (Maloney 66)
- Stokes 4
- Hooper 33
- Ki Sung-Yeung 58
- Ledley 71
- Forrest 90+1
- 06Floodyellow card (Gunning 78)
- 08Robertson; yellow card
- 11Rankin; yellow card
- 20Allan (Armstrong 67)
- Russell 31
- Match Report (see end of page below)
- Voting Thread
- Result Thread
- Winner - Stokes, A
- 2011-12 Winners
- Celtic 63%
- Dundee Utd 37%
Attempts on target
- Celtic 9
- Dundee Utd 3
Attempts off target
- Celtic 8
- Dundee Utd 3
- Celtic 5
- Dundee Utd 7
- Celtic 10
- Dundee Utd 14
Five-star showing for Celts at ParadiseBy: Laura Brannan on 13 Aug, 2011 17:01 13 August 2011
Scottish Premier League
(Stokes 4, Hooper 33, Ki 58, Ledley 71, Forrest 90)
DUNDEE UNITED 1
THE first competitive match at Celtic Park of the new season produced a comprehensive and entertaining 5-1 victory against Dundee United to continue the Hoops 100 per centstart totheir SPL campaign.
Anthony Stokes opened the scoring with his third goal in as many league games four minutes into the match, before Johnny Russell equalised for the visitors on the half-hour mark.
But Gary Hooper responded almost instantly, putting the Hoops ahead again with his first goal of the new season. AndNeil Lennon'sside sealed the victory in the second-half through goals from Ki Sung Yueng, Joe Ledley and an injury-time finish from James Forrest.
The manager made three changes from the side which beat Aberdeen last weekend, welcoming back Scott Brown to the captain’s role after the midfielder had missed the first two matches of the season through suspension.
Overcoming theinjury he picked up in Scotland’s midweek friendly, he returned to the side along with Mark Wilson who also missed last weekend with a hip injury. Charlie Mulgrew was the other change, as he slotted in for the injured Emilio Izaguirre at left-back.
Celtic looked confident from the start and Kris Commons had the first shot on target after just three minutes. United’s keeper Dusan Pernis could only block the effort without catching it, though, which allowed Stokes to win a corner.
The striker was looking sharp in front of goal and the resulting corner led to his opener. Daniel Majstorovic headed the ball down and the Irishman slotted it under the keeper with his left foot, putting the Hoops ahead on four minutes.
And boosted by his goal, Stokes then attempted to double the home side’s advantage shortly after with a powerful effort from 35-yards out.
Dundee United came more into the game as the first-half settled andequalised on the half-hour mark. Gary Kenneth mis-hit a shot which rolled into the path of Russell who slotted the ball home to make it 1-1.
But Celtic responded almost instantly with Hooper putting his side back in the lead again less than two minutes later. Stokes' header came back off the bar and the Englishman was on hand tonod the loose ball over the keeper and into the net.
Celtic started the second-half as promisingly as the first, with Mulgrew threatening down the left and Mark Wilson attempting a one-two with Stokes inside the box.
But it was Commons who came closest to stretching the advantage on 53 minutes when his low drive came off the far post.
Peter Houston’s men continued to push play into Celtic’s half but on the counter attack, Commons broke down the left wing. Playing in Ki, the South Korean charged into the box and slammed his shot into the top corner, extending Celtic’s leadjust before the hour mark.
Dundee United didn’t let their heads go down after losing the third goal, and Zaluskamade two excellent saves within four minutes to maintain Celtic's two-goal advantage.
Making another break from a United attack, Hooper charged through the centre of the pitch to unleash a powerful drive just wide of the post. In the process he was taken out by Paul Dixon, though, and had to be stretchered off on 66 minutes. The Dundee United defender was lucky to escape punishment for his late tackle.
It was his replacement, Shaun Maloney, who set up Celtic’s fourth, playing in Ledley at the near post. The Welshman slotted the ball into the bottom corner of Pernis’ net to kill the game as a contest on 71 minutes.
And Maloney then had his own chance when his shot went agonisingly wide of the far post, missing the target by inches.
But it wasn’t the final effort on target as substitute Forrest finished proceedings with an injury-time strike, sealing the 5-1 victory for Celtic.
CELTIC (4-4-2): Zaluska; M. Wilson, Majstorovic, K. Wilson, Mulgrew; Brown, Ki, Ledley, Commons (Forrest 63); Stokes (McCourt 77), Hooper (Maloney 66)
Subs not used: Cervi, Matthews, Wanyama, Samaras
DUNDEE UNITED (4-4-2): Pernis; Dillon, Kenneth, Watson, Dixon; Flood (Gunning 77), Allan (Armstrong 68), Robertson, Rankin; Daly, Russell
Subs not used: Banks, Swanson, Douglas, Mackay-Steven, Dow
Website man of the match: Scott Brown
Celtic 5-1 Dundee UtdPage last updated at 16:11 GMT, Saturday, 13 August 2011 17:11 UK
Celtic5-1Dundee UtdCeltic have taken nine points from their opening three matches in the SPL Celtic continued their 100% run in the Scottish Premier League with a comfortable win against Dundee United.
Anthony Stokes's fourth-minute header was cancelled out by Johnny Russell on the half hour with a close-range strike at the back post.
Gary Hooper's header gave Celtic a half-time advantage, before a superb second-half strike from Ki Sung-Yeung.
A 71st-minute Joe Ledley tap-in and a well-worked injury-time effort from James Forrest secured all three points.
The win puts Celtic one point behind league-leaders Motherwell at the top of the table with nine points from their opening three matches, while United slip to sixth place following last week's draw at home to St Mirren.
With just four minutes played, a sensational long-distance shot from Kris Commons gave the United keeper Dusan Pernis a scare, resulting in a corner from which Stokes headed in from six yards.
Celtic keeper Lukasz Zaluska fumbled a Keith Watson cross from the right but Russell couldn't get a foot to it before the Polish keeper pounced to correct his mistake.
As the half hour mark approached, Ki blasted in a powerful shot from 18 yards, but Garry Kenneth deflected it out for a corner.
United found the equaliser 14 minutes from the interval when Kenneth miscued a shot that drifted across the face of the Celtic goal for Russell to fire home, unmarked, from 10 yards out.
Celtic's lead was restored immediately when Hooper benefited from a header that rebounded off the United crossbar and wrong-footed Pernis. The English striker rose highest above the United defence on the goal line and nodded in.
After the interval, Commons struck the inside of the Pernis's left-hand post, but the ball rebounded back out to safety.
United continued to look dangerous with a John Rankin long-range free-kick in the 56th minute that curved past the post.
Scott Robertson crumpled in a heap inside the Celtic penalty area - but referee Craig Thomson was having none of it - then Celtic quickly counter-attacked with Commons laying off to Ki, who blasted in a terrific third goal from 17 yards.
Willo Flood flighted in a tempting corner that Kenneth headed inches past the Celtic post then, in a flurry of goalmouth activity, Russell was unlucky to see his header deflected out in a similar fashion.
Hooper powered into the United half on a solo run and struck for goal, but the ball went wide of the target and the former Scunthorpe man was stretchered off moments later after injuring himself in the process.
United were by no means down and out and continued to press their hosts with efforts from Flood and Russell, but Maloney provided the assist with a neat cut-back from the goal-line to allow Ledley the chance to tap in Celtic's fourth.
Maloney could have made it five after some clever footwork in the final 10 minutes of the match, but the substitute dragged his shot wide.
In the final minutes of the match, Rankin forced Zaluska to tip over an angled free-kick from near the goal-line, but United were simply going through the motions before Forrest finished off a well-worked team effort to strike home Celtic's fifth of the day from close range.
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+1:09 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+0:12 Assist by Joe Ledley.
- 90:00+0:12 GOAL - James ForrestCeltic 5 - 1 Dundee Utd Goal scored by James Forrest from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Celtic 5-1 Dundee Utd.
- 87:14 Paul Dixon delivers the ball.
- 87:00 Paul Dixon crosses the ball, clearance by Daniel Majstorovic.
- 86:11 Johnny Russell takes a shot. Save by Lukasz Zaluska.
- 85:38 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by John Rankin from the left by-line, Scott Brown manages to make a clearance.
- 84:52 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kelvin Wilson on Stuart Armstrong. John Rankin takes the free kick.
- 83:01 Foul by Johnny Russell on Kelvin Wilson, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Lukasz Zaluska.
- Correction - 80:29 Effort on goal by Shaun Maloney from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the target.
- 80:29 Effort from deep inside the area by Shaun Maloney misses to the right of the goal.
- 79:19 James Forrest fouled by John Rankin, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Mark Wilson.
- 77:11 Substitution Gavin Gunning comes on in place of Willo Flood.
- 77:11 Substitution Anthony Stokes goes off and Patrick McCourt comes on.
- 77:11 Shot from just outside the box by Anthony Stokes misses to the right of the goal.
- 74:05 James Forrest sends in a cross, clearance by Sean Dillon.
- 70:27 Shaun Maloney provided the assist for the goal.
- 70:27 GOAL - Joe LedleyCeltic 4 - 1 Dundee Utd Goal scored by Joe Ledley from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Celtic 4-1 Dundee Utd.
- 70:25 The ball is crossed by Shaun Maloney,
- 69:41 Scott Robertson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James Forrest. Charlie Mulgrew takes the direct free kick.
- 69:13 Corner from the right by-line taken by Willo Flood, Kelvin Wilson manages to make a clearance.
- 68:49 Free kick awarded for a foul by Scott Brown on John Rankin. Willo Flood restarts play with the free kick.
- 68:19 The ball is swung over by Paul Dixon, Charlie Mulgrew manages to make a clearance. Corner taken right-footed by Willo Flood, clearance by Daniel Majstorovic.
- 66:43 Substitution Stuart Armstrong is brought on as a substitute for Scott Allan.
- 65:27 Substitution Shaun Maloney comes on in place of Gary Hooper.
- 63:41 Johnny Russell takes a shot. Save by Lukasz Zaluska.
- 61:49 Substitution (Celtic) makes a substitution, with James Forrest coming on for Kris Commons.
- 61:49 Scott Brown produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the target.
- 61:46 Scott Robertson sends in a cross.
- 61:26 Corner taken short by Willo Flood.
- 60:15 The ball is swung over by Keith Watson, Johnny Russell takes a shot. Lukasz Zaluska makes a save. Corner taken right-footed by Willo Flood, save by Lukasz Zaluska.
- 59:52 Sung-Yeung Ki concedes a free kick for a foul on Scott Robertson. John Rankin takes the direct free kick.
- 58:42 Inswinging corner taken by Willo Flood, Headed effort on goal by Garry Kenneth from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the target.
- 57:13 Kris Commons provided the assist for the goal.
- 57:13 GOAL - Sung-Yeung KiCeltic 3 - 1 Dundee Utd Sung-Yeung Ki finds the back of the net with a goal from the edge of the penalty area to the top left corner of the goal. Celtic 3-1 Dundee Utd.
- 56:14 Foul by Kris Commons on Keith Watson, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Garry Kenneth.
- 56:08 Centre by Mark Wilson, Keith Watson makes a clearance.
- 55:56 A cross is delivered by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 53:45 Gary Hooper challenges Garry Kenneth unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from John Rankin.
- 52:00 Kris Commons takes a shot from a just insdie the area and hits the post.
- 49:44 The ball is swung over by Charlie Mulgrew, clearance made by Paul Dixon.
- 46:06 Inswinging corner taken by Willo Flood from the left by-line.
- 45:31 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kelvin Wilson on Johnny Russell. Willo Flood restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:52 The half-time whistle blows.
- 44:10 The ball is sent over by Mark Wilson.
- 40:25 Paul Dixon sends in a cross, clearance by Daniel Majstorovic.
- 39:28 Anthony Stokes has shot on goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 39:02 The ball is swung over by Kris Commons, clearance by Paul Dixon. Short corner worked by Mark Wilson.
- 36:24 Direct free kick taken by Daniel Majstorovic.
- 36:24 Booking Willo Flood is cautioned.
- 36:17 Willo Flood gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Joe Ledley.
- 35:33 The ball is delivered by Charlie Mulgrew, save by Dusan Pernis.
- 35:03 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Scott Brown by Johnny Russell. Sung-Yeung Ki takes the direct free kick.
- 34:35 Foul by Scott Robertson on Kris Commons, free kick awarded. Kelvin Wilson takes the direct free kick.
- 34:10 Keith Watson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kris Commons. Direct free kick taken by Mark Wilson.
- 32:45 Assist by Anthony Stokes.
- 32:45 GOAL - Gary HooperCeltic 2 - 1 Dundee Utd Gary Hooper finds the back of the net with a headed goal from close in. Celtic 2-1 Dundee Utd.
- 32:22 The ball is swung over by Kris Commons, clearance by Keith Watson. Kris Commons takes the outswinging corner,
- 30:18 Assist by Garry Kenneth.
- 30:18 GOAL - Johnny RussellCeltic 1 - 1 Dundee Utd Johnny Russell grabs a goal from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal. Celtic 1-1 Dundee Utd.
- 29:42 Anthony Stokes concedes a free kick for a foul on John Rankin. Free kick taken by Paul Dixon.
- 28:45 Mark Wilson challenges Paul Dixon unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Dusan Pernis.
- 28:36 Anthony Stokes takes a shot. Save by Dusan Pernis.
- 27:34 Scott Allan gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kris Commons. Sung-Yeung Ki restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:37 Effort from the edge of the area by Sung-Yeung Ki goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 25:36 Kris Commons delivers the ball.
- 25:26 Kris Commons delivers the ball, clearance by Sean Dillon.
- 24:53 The ball is crossed by Paul Dixon.
- 22:59 Kelvin Wilson takes the outswinging corner, Effort on goal by Anthony Stokes from just inside the penalty area goes over the target.
- 22:36 Sung-Yeung Ki takes a shot. Keith Watson gets a block in.
- 21:55 Corner taken by Sung-Yeung Ki from the right by-line.
- 21:12 Mark Wilson takes the direct free kick.
- 21:12 Booking John Rankin is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 21:05 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mark Wilson by John Rankin.
- 20:10 Keith Watson sends in a cross, Lukasz Zaluska makes a save.
- Correction - 18:48 The ball is swung over by Joe Ledley, Willo Flood makes a clearance.
- 18:48 Kris Commons sends in a cross, clearance by Willo Flood.
- 16:29 Free kick taken by Kris Commons.
- 16:29 Booking Scott Robertson is given a yellow card.
- 16:20 Unfair challenge on Anthony Stokes by Scott Robertson results in a free kick.
- 15:32 Sean Dillon fouled by Kelvin Wilson, the ref awards a free kick. Paul Dixon takes the direct free kick.
- 12:52 Direct free kick taken by Dusan Pernis.
- 12:52 Booking Sung-Yeung Ki is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 12:42 Sung-Yeung Ki challenges John Rankin unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 10:05 Free kick awarded for a foul by Scott Allan on Kris Commons. Direct free kick taken by Kris Commons.
- 7:55 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Joe Ledley by Scott Allan. Daniel Majstorovic takes the free kick.
- 7:29 Anthony Stokes takes a shot. Save by Dusan Pernis.
- 5:08 Charlie Mulgrew produces a cross, save made by Dusan Pernis.
- 4:52 Scott Robertson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Joe Ledley. Sung-Yeung Ki restarts play with the free kick.
- 3:33 Assist by Daniel Majstorovic.
- 3:33 GOAL - Anthony StokesCeltic 1 - 0 Dundee Utd Anthony Stokes scores a goal from just outside the area low into the middle of the goal. Celtic 1-0 Dundee Utd.
- 3:03 Joe Ledley takes a shot. Save made by Dusan Pernis. Inswinging corner taken by Scott Brown,
- 2:45 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Anthony Stokes by John Rankin. Sung-Yeung Ki takes the free kick.
- 0:37 Kelvin Wilson takes a shot.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Latest page update: made by floridabhoy
, Feb 1 2012, 11:25 AM EST
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by floridabhoy
81 words added
79 words deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page