Sign in or
2011-11-30: Celtic 0-1 Athletico Madrid, UEFA Cup
|Match Pictures | Matches: 2011 - 2012 | 2011-2012 Pictures|
- Celtic need to win away in Udinese(Italy) to make it through. We've only won 1 of the last 32 away games in Europe!!!
- Sixth time we've played A Madrid competitively and not won.
- Scott Brown returns after long injury.
- Matches overshadowed by death (suicide) of Wales Manager David Speedy last weekend. RIP
Review(macca89 of KDS forum)
It was an uneven performance. Played well in spells, and really poor in others. I suppose that had something to do with our level of opponent.
Wanyama is a real gem, bosses the midfield whilst looking cool as a cucumber. Him in there really makes Kayal come on to a game. Ki for me can leave in January if a decent offer comes in for him. A talented footballer though I just think he doesn't suit our type of football. We need guys who can graft and put in total effort. We've played with worse players and beat better teams than tonight. Its all about effort and heart and Ki just doesnt have that.
We really pummelled them for the first 20 minutes. Game died as soon as they scored, from then we sat in way to deep which invited them on, and with our inability to have an outball for a breakaway and the lack of urgency to get out once their attack had broken down, it left us camped in our own half for the majority of the game.
Bringing everyone back for an opposition corner kick is just wrong. you leave one man up the park you have an outball, and they need to put 2 men back to mark him. Hell even the SPL fodder dont bring everyone back for a corner against us.
Forrest and Matthews had good games. If they could work on they're deliveries into the box rather than not looking up and just hoofing it in, it would vastly help our game.
Plenty of things to work on but still plenty of positives.
We're a good team, and if we fix our weaknesses and cut out individual errors we can be a great team.
- 05Majstorovic; yellow card
- 16Ledley (Mulgrew 38)
- 18Ki Sung-Yeung; yellow card
- 67Wanyama (Hooper 46)
- 10Stokes (Brown 76)
- 21Perea; yellow card
- 23Miranda; yellow card
- 04Mario Suarez
- 11Turan (Juanfran 79)
- 14Fernandez Gabi; yellow card (Paulo Assuncao 90+1)
- 07Adrian (Falcao 67)
- 08Eduardo Salvio
- 25Sergio Asenjo,
- 12Paulo Assuncao,
- 19Jorge Koke,
- Turan 30
Ref: Eric Braamhar
- Match Report (see end of page below)
- Audio Report: Paradise Report
- (from 1:12:59 to 1:31:58)
- Voting Thread
- Result Thread
- Winner -
- 2011-12 Winners
- Celtic 44%
- Atletico Madrid 56%
Attempts on target
- Celtic 6
- Atletico Madrid 7
Attempts off target
- Celtic 5
- Atletico Madrid 5
- Celtic 7
- Atletico Madrid 9
- Celtic 12
- Atletico Madrid 17
Celtic 0 - 1 Atletico Madrid: Celtic’s Euro hopes hang by a thread after defeatThe Scotsman
CELTIC suffered their first home European defeat in two years to leave their hopes of remaining in continental competition beyond Christmas resting on a daunting assignment in Italy in 15 December.
A 30th minute goal from Turkish international striker Arda Turan, which Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster should have prevented, was enough to secure victory for Atletico Mad-rid and earn the Spanish side a place in the last 32 of the Europa League.
Neil Lennon’s men now need to win away to Udinese in their final Group I fixture in a fortnight if they are to join Atletico in the knockout phase. Defeat was harsh on Celtic last night when a draw would have been a fairer outcome from an enjoyable match. Even then, however, Celtic would still have been heading to northern Italy in need of all three points.
This was their first defeat in ten matches in all competitions but, although a disappointment for Lennon, it is not one which should necessarily stall the momentum they have gathered domestically in recent weeks.
In a contest as open as Lennon had predicted it might be, Celtic came perilously close to falling behind inside the opening minute. The loss of an early goal when the teams met in the first round of matches in Madrid proved a setback Celtic were unable to recover from, and they had the wastefulness of Eduardo Salvio to thank for not facing the same scenario last night.
Victor Wanyama was dispossessed by Diego, the Brazilian playmaker threading a pass to Adrian Lopez, who was denied a clear shooting chance by Glenn Loovens’ covering tackle.
It came at the expense of a corner kick which Celtic were unable to clear effectively and when Turan crossed the ball in from the left, Diego Godin nodded it back across the six-yard box to the unmarked Salvio. With the goal at his mercy, the Argentinian forward steered his free header wide.
If the Celtic goalkeeper was relieved on that occasion, he was extremely fortunate not to be punished for his own hesitancy during Atletico’s next raid. He was desperately slow to react when Turan whipped over another cross from the left, allowing Salvio to nip in and beat him to the ball. Salvio’s first touch was of insufficient quality to allow him to take full advantage and the danger was cleared.
Celtic responded smartly to create significant problems at the other end for an Atletico defence which appeared especially uneasy in dealing with set pieces.
Atletico goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, who endured a miserable weekend when he was sent off during the 4-1 derby defeat at Real Madrid, made a valuable double contribution for his side in the 12th minute.
Ki Sung Yueng’s corner from the left was headed towards goal by Daniel Majstorovic, the ball finding Georgios Samaras lurking on the edge of the six-yard box. The Greek looked certain to score but his flicked effort was brilliantly turned behind by Courtois. The young Belgian keeper, on a season-long loan from Chelsea, showed excellent reactions again from the subsequent corner, delivered well once more by Ki, when he kept out an Anthony Stokes header.
Samaras appeared in the mood to build on his much-lauded weekend display against St Mirren and a weaving run into the Atletico penalty area saw Filipe Luis flirt dangerously with an own goal, the Brazilian defender scuffing the ball clear from inside the six-yard area.
Some fine hold-up play by Stokes, operating as the lone striker in the 4-2-3-1 formation Lennon has settled on for this competition, saw him evade the attention of four Atletico players to provide Samaras with a shooting chance from the edge of the penalty area but his effort was scooped over the top.
All of that promising endeavour by Celtic was undone by Forster’s error in the concession of a goal on the half-hour. Diego’s corner from the right was cleared as far as Turan some 20 yards out.
Although his right-foot shot was struck well enough, Forster got both hands on the ball as he dived to his left but was only able to help it into the net. While the keeper may point to the failure of several of his team-mates, notably Beram Kayal, to block the shot as it travelled through a packed penalty area, it was unquestionably sloppy work on Forster’s part.
Lennon suffered another setback seven minutes before the interval when Joe Ledley fell awkwardly and had to be taken to the dressing room on a stretcher. He was replaced at left-back by Charlie Mulgrew.
Celtic made another change at half-time, withdrawing Wanyama and sending on Gary Hooper in switching to a 4-4-2 formation.
Celtic saw plenty of the ball in their efforts to draw level but struggled to penetrate the robust Atletico defence. Set pieces remained their best hope and Courtois produced a terrific one-handed save to turn a brilliantly struck free-kick from Ki over.
The home support then had celebrations of an equaliser cut short, Stokes penalised for controlling the ball with his arm as he helped Mulgrew’s header from a Ki corner on to Hooper, who netted from close range.
Atletico remained a threat on the counter attack with the Celtic defence surviving more than one anxious moment.
With 15 minutes left, club captain Scott Brown returned from a two-month injury lay-off to replace Stokes, and Brown saw a shot blocked in stoppage time as Celtic scrambled in vain for a share of the spoils.
Celtic: Forster, Matthews, Majstorovic, Loovens, Ledley (Mulgrew 38); Wanyama (Hooper 46), Kayal; Forrest, Ki, Samaras; Stokes (Brown 75). Subs not used: Zaluska, Bangura, McCourt, F Twardzik.
Atletico: Courtois, Perea, Godin, Miranda, Filipe; Gabi (Assuncao 90), Suarez, Turan (Juanfran 80); Diego; Salvio, Adrian (Falcao 69). Subs not used: Asenjo, Reyes, Dominguez, Koke.
BBCPage last updated at 20:02 GMT, Wednesday, 30 November 2011 By Martin Conaghan
BBC Scotland Celtic struggled to find the net against Atletico in Glasgow A narrow defeat by Atletico Madrid in Glasgow left Celtic requiring a win from their final Europa League match to guarantee qualification.
Arda Turan scored the only goal of the night for Atletico after 30 minutes with a 20-yard strike.
A neat finish by Celtic sub Gary Hooper was ruled out as Anthony Stokes had handled the ball on its way through.
Ki Sung-Yeung's free-kick in the 67th minute was deflected over by keeper Thibaut Courtois to secure the win.
The victory guarantees Atletico a place in the latter stages of the tournament, while Celtic now need three points from their last group match away to Udinese, after the Italians drew 0-0 with Rennes in the night's other match in Group I.
Neil Lennon made one change to his side from Saturday's 5-0 win against St Mirren, with midfielder Ki replacing Hooper who started as a substitute, while skipper Scott Brown and Mohamed Bangura returned from respective ankle and knee injuries with places on the bench.
Celtic's 1-0 defeat by Atletico Madrid in the Europa League means they have yet to beat the Spanish team in six attemptsIn the opening minutes, Eduardo Salvio flashed a header inches wide of Fraser Forster's left-hand post then, moments later, knocked the ball out of Forster's hands, but the danger was quickly cleared.
Celtic responded with a Ki corner that Stokes stabbed towards the Atletico goal, but Courtois made the save.
As the pace picked up, Daniel Majstorovic headed a goalbound corner that Georgios Samaras flicked on, but was denied from close range.
A gap in the home defence allowed Salvio to fire in from the edge of the penalty area, but the ball was deflected out for a corner. Stokes then blazed up the park to tee-up a shot for Samaras, who ballooned his effort over the bar.
The deadlock was broken in the 30th minute from a set-piece when Majstorovic headed out an inswinging corner that Turan blasted goalwards.
Celtic captain Kayal, standing on the six yard line, ducked to avoid the ball as it sailed past Forster into the back of the net.
Stokes could have levelled the scores as half-time approached when Adam Matthews squared a ball across the face of goal for the Irishman to pounce, but the Atletico defence was equal to the task.
After the restart, Celtic looked bouyed by the introduction of Hooper from the bench, but Gabi threatened to increase the visitors' lead with a long-distance effort that edged wide.
Celtic were fortunate not to be two down in the 55th minute when Salvio sent a low ball across the six-yard line, but none of his team-mates were on hand to finish the job.
Samaras should have done better with an 18-yard strike that took a deflection, then Kayal struck an awkward shot that bobbled out for a goal-kick.
The closest chance of the match for Celtic arrived in the 67th minute when Ki blasted in a free-kick that Courtois tipped over the bar. Moments later, Hooper had the ball in the Atletico net, but Stokes was judged to have helped it in with a handball.
Forster kept Celtic in the match by deflecting a powerful Diego free-kick off the post and made another clearance after a close-range attempt by Salvio in the six-yard box.
The on-loan Newcastle keeper was again called into action when he made an instinctive stop with his legs, rushing out from goal to block Juanfran's low shot from the edge of the penalty area.
A late flurry by Lennon's men - including a deflected strike by substitute Brown - failed to produce a vital leveller and Celtic now face a difficult task trip to Italy to secure three points from their final group match.
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:36 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+2:51 Unfair challenge on Sung-Yeung Ki by Eduardo Salvio results in a free kick. Free kick crossed by Sung-Yeung Ki, Radamel Falcao manages to make a clearance.
- 90:00+2:27 Scott Brown takes a shot. Blocked by Diego Godin.
- 90:00+0:50 Substitution Fernandez Gabi leaves the field to be replaced by Silva Paulo Assuncao.
- 89:40 Radamel Falcao takes a shot. Save by Fraser Forster.
- 88:09 Torres Juanfran takes a shot. Save by Thibaut Courtois. Sung-Yeung Ki concedes a free kick for a foul on Ribas Diego. Ribas Diego fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 84:00 Daniel Majstorovic is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Thibaut Courtois.
- 83:27 Ribas Diego gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Beram Kayal. Sung-Yeung Ki takes the direct free kick.
- 82:27 Sung-Yeung Ki fouled by Fernandez Gabi, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Glenn Loovens.
- 78:43 Joao Miranda restarts play with the free kick.
- 78:43 Substitution Arda Turan goes off and Torres Juanfran comes on.
- 78:43 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gary Hooper on Fernandez Gabi.
- 75:07 Substitution Scott Brown replaces Anthony Stokes.
- 74:30 Radamel Falcao takes a shot.
- 73:23 Centre by Luis Amaranto Perea, Glenn Loovens manages to make a clearance.
- 72:11 Effort on goal by Fernandez Gabi from 12 yards. Save by Fraser Forster. Outswinging corner taken by Ribas Diego, Glenn Loovens manages to make a clearance.
- 71:11 Corner taken right-footed by Sung-Yeung Ki from the left by-line, clearance by Mata Mario Suarez.
- 70:59 James Forrest sends in a cross, Luis Amaranto Perea manages to make a clearance.
- 70:03 Free kick taken by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 70:03 Booking The referee shows Luis Amaranto Perea a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 69:58 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Sung-Yeung Ki by Luis Amaranto Perea.
- 68:08 Free kick awarded for a foul by James Forrest on Arda Turan. Free kick crossed right-footed by Ribas Diego.
- 66:02 Thibaut Courtois restarts play with the free kick.
- 66:02 Substitution (Atletico Madrid) makes a substitution, with Radamel Falcao coming on for Lopez Adrian.
- 66:02 Sung-Yeung Ki takes a shot. Save by Thibaut Courtois. Corner taken right-footed by Sung-Yeung Ki. Anthony Stokes is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick.
- 65:09 Free kick taken by Sung-Yeung Ki.
- 65:09 Booking Caution for Joao Miranda.
- 65:04 Unfair challenge on Georgios Samaras by Joao Miranda results in a free kick.
- 62:41 Effort on goal by Anthony Stokes from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 60:10 Anthony Stokes has shot on goal from just outside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 59:41 Ribas Diego challenges Georgios Samaras unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 59:01 Direct free kick taken by Daniel Majstorovic.
- 59:01 Booking Fernandez Gabi goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 58:51 Beram Kayal fouled by Fernandez Gabi, the ref awards a free kick.
- 57:42 Direct free kick taken by Mata Mario Suarez.
- 57:42 Booking The referee shows Sung-Yeung Ki a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 57:37 Unfair challenge on Fernandez Gabi by Sung-Yeung Ki results in a free kick.
- 57:21 Beram Kayal concedes a free kick for a foul on Eduardo Salvio. Ribas Diego takes the free kick.
- 57:06 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by James Forrest.
- 56:45 Effort on goal by Georgios Samaras from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 56:36 Adam Matthews delivers the ball.
- Correction - 55:16 Luis Amaranto Perea concedes a free kick for a foul on Georgios Samaras. Free kick crossed left-footed by Charlie Mulgrew, Diego Godin manages to make a clearance.
- 55:16 Unfair challenge on Georgios Samaras by Luis Amaranto Perea results in a free kick. Charlie Mulgrew crosses the ball in from the free kick, Diego Godin makes a clearance.
- 53:31 Free kick taken by Fernandez Gabi.
- 53:31 Booking Daniel Majstorovic goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 53:18 Daniel Majstorovic concedes a free kick for a foul on Eduardo Salvio.
- 51:58 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Ribas Diego, Glenn Loovens manages to make a clearance.
- 51:43 The ball is swung over by Fernandez Gabi, clearance by Glenn Loovens.
- 50:40 Kasmirski Filipe Luis takes a shot. Adam Matthews gets a block in.
- 49:55 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Ribas Diego from the left by-line to the near post, Glenn Loovens makes a clearance.
- 49:10 Anthony Stokes takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Comfortable save by Thibaut Courtois.
- 47:48 Fernandez Gabi has shot on goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 47:12 Ribas Diego fouled by Beram Kayal, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Fernandez Gabi.
- 45:16 Foul by Arda Turan on Sung-Yeung Ki, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Daniel Majstorovic.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Gary Hooper on for Victor Wanyama.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:48 The first half comes to an end.
- 45:00+0:38 Luis Amaranto Perea gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Anthony Stokes. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Anthony Stokes, blocked by Diego Godin.
- 42:59 Outswinging corner taken by Ribas Diego from the right by-line, clearance by Glenn Loovens.
- 42:38 Adam Matthews sends in a cross, save made by Thibaut Courtois.
- 41:20 Unfair challenge on Victor Wanyama by Mata Mario Suarez results in a free kick. Charlie Mulgrew restarts play with the free kick, The ball is sent over by Glenn Loovens, clearance by Kasmirski Filipe Luis.
- 40:37 The ball is crossed by Georgios Samaras.
- 38:56 Georgios Samaras concedes a free kick for a foul on Luis Amaranto Perea. Luis Amaranto Perea takes the direct free kick.
- 37:03 Mata Mario Suarez takes the free kick.
- 37:03 Substitution Joe Ledley goes off and Charlie Mulgrew comes on.
- 37:03 The referee blows for offside.
- 36:43 The ball is sent over by Mata Mario Suarez, save by Fraser Forster.
- 35:48 Sung-Yeung Ki concedes a free kick for a foul on Eduardo Salvio. Luis Amaranto Perea restarts play with the free kick.
- 35:00 Fernandez Gabi produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the target.
- 32:52 Eduardo Salvio produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the bar.
- 32:42 The ball is crossed by Kasmirski Filipe Luis, clearance by Daniel Majstorovic.
- 31:07 The ball is swung over by Lopez Adrian, comfortable save by Fraser Forster.
- 29:41 GOAL - Arda TuranCeltic 0 - 1 Atletico Madrid Goal scored by Arda Turan from just outside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Celtic 0-1 Atletico Madrid.
- 29:10 Ribas Diego takes the outswinging corner, clearance by Daniel Majstorovic.
- 29:05 The ball is swung over by Kasmirski Filipe Luis, Joe Ledley manages to make a clearance.
- 27:39 Free kick awarded for a foul by Beram Kayal on Diego Godin. Fernandez Gabi takes the direct free kick.
- 25:38 Effort on goal by Georgios Samaras from just inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 25:12 Corner taken short by Arda Turan.
- 24:55 Eduardo Salvio takes a shot. Blocked by Joe Ledley.
- 23:27 A cross is delivered by Joe Ledley.
- 22:31 Ribas Diego concedes a free kick for a foul on Georgios Samaras. Sung-Yeung Ki takes the free kick.
- 21:19 Unfair challenge on Mata Mario Suarez by Sung-Yeung Ki results in a free kick. Joao Miranda restarts play with the free kick.
- 21:13 Beram Kayal sends in a cross, Joao Miranda makes a clearance.
- Correction - 19:37 Foul by Mata Mario Suarez on Sung-Yeung Ki, free kick awarded. Daniel Majstorovic takes the direct free kick.
- 19:37 Mata Mario Suarez gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sung-Yeung Ki. Free kick taken by Daniel Majstorovic.
- 18:44 The ball is swung over by Kasmirski Filipe Luis, Glenn Loovens makes a clearance.
- Correction - 17:22 Joe Ledley takes a shot. Blocked by Fernandez Gabi. Corner from left by-line taken by Sung-Yeung Ki.
- 17:22 Joe Ledley takes a shot. Blocked by Mata Mario Suarez.
- 16:24 The ball is sent over by Adam Matthews, save made by Thibaut Courtois.
- 16:09 The ball is sent over by Georgios Samaras, clearance made by Diego Godin.
- 12:46 Arda Turan is caught offside. Free kick taken by Fraser Forster.
- 12:19 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Diego Godin by Anthony Stokes. Free kick taken by Thibaut Courtois.
- 11:48 Corner taken by Sung-Yeung Ki from the left by-line, Anthony Stokes takes a shot. Save by Thibaut Courtois.
- 10:59 Foul by Diego Godin on Sung-Yeung Ki, free kick awarded. Adam Matthews restarts play with the free kick. Outswinging corner taken by Sung-Yeung Ki, Georgios Samaras takes a shot. Thibaut Courtois makes a save.
- 9:08 Corner taken by Fernandez Gabi from the right by-line, Sung-Yeung Ki makes a clearance.
- 8:59 A cross is delivered by Arda Turan, Victor Wanyama manages to make a clearance.
- 8:20 Ribas Diego decides to take the corner short.
- 7:22 Joe Ledley delivers the ball, Diego Godin makes a clearance.
- 6:48 Fernandez Gabi gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James Forrest. Sung-Yeung Ki crosses the ball in from the free kick, Luis Amaranto Perea makes a clearance.
- 3:16 Diego Godin gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Anthony Stokes. Sung-Yeung Ki crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel.
- 2:06 Corner taken right-footed by Sung-Yeung Ki from the left by-line, save by Thibaut Courtois.
- 1:50 Foul by Kasmirski Filipe Luis on Sung-Yeung Ki, free kick awarded. Sung-Yeung Ki takes the free kick.
- Correction - 0:44 The ball is delivered by Arda Turan, Eduardo Salvio produces a headed effort from deep inside the six-yard box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 0:44 Arda Turan produces a cross, Header from close range by Eduardo Salvio misses to the right of the target.
- 0:18 Corner taken right-footed by Ribas Diego from the left by-line, Adam Matthews makes a clearance.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Latest page update: made by joebloggscity
, Jul 12 2012, 3:14 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by joebloggscity
8 words added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page