Sign in or
2011-12-28: Celtic 1-0 Rangers, SPL
|Match Pictures | Matches: 2011 - 2012 | 2011-2012 Pictures|
- Celtic go top for the first time this season! 2pts in front.
- Celtic at start Nov were 15pts behind in the league (but two games in hand). A remarkable performance.
- Ledley scores winner. Avg age of Celts is just 22!!!
- 70-80mph winds all day in Scotland and it was freezing, match was possibly expected to be called off.
- Match played with strong wings prob 30mph. Celtic played into it in first half.
- Rangers had ball 90% over the line but saved by Forster. Balanced out with later Hooper opportunity clear through and called offside when not.
- Kayal stretchered off.... believe it's just an ankle injury.
- Journalist GrahamSpiers: "A strange, almost pitiful 2nd half from Rangers at Parkhead, given they were allegedly ‘chasing’ the game from the 52nd minute."
- From Huns site: RM 'As much as it pains me to admit it, their end was rocking in the second-half. Every single one of those horrible, horrible bastards was doing that daft huddle thing and see when they started singing 'We Shall Not Be Moved', my heart sank. I effing despise them with an absolute and utter passion'
- L'Equipe on the Old Firm: "The Glasgow derby at Celtic Park remains the greatest spectacle in European football, but then the match starts."
- Jokes: "With gusts of up to 50 mph forecast, how is Sone Aluko going to stay on his feet?"; "It's amazing the change in temperature in Scotland. It's gone from -15 to +2 in just 8 weeks."
Review(pauljames213 of KDS forum)
Just back and absolutely knackered. Noone sat down tonight. Don't think i could cope with a standing section :lol:
It was a scrappy game in horrible conditions so was never going to be pretty but at least Celtic tried to play some football. If every team chose to play like the huns, football would be be dead as an entertainment within 6 months! I couldnt pay to watch that every week.
We showed a lot of heart and spirit to grind it out and great credit to Rogne and Mulgrew. I said before that he would learn from the LC final of last season and he did. He wasn't naive and didnt give Jelavic the chance to go down looking for free kicks. Ledley and Matthews were good and the keeper dealt with everything comfortably.
Hope Kayal is ok as i thought him/Wanyama and Brown were really good tonight. Forrest struggled a wee bit with his final ball but caused the problems every time he got on the ball. They were needing 2/3 players to shut him down.
Hooper struggled and looks like he needs a rest. Hopefully a striker coming in to take the pressure off him :pray: Samaras put in another good shift and the huns struggled to contain him. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:
All the huns had was a long ball and looking for flick ons. They are a quite shameful throwback. They are so one dimensional. I was at the game so havent seen a replay but thought Healy should have been off for his foul on Forrest.
Also, how many times is that big geek going to avoid getting sent off for that same tackle? seen him leave his boot in on the full back several times now and someone is going to get seriously hurt.
Havent seen the header if it was over or not but balanced out i think by the lenient approach of Collum to some of the hun antics and the north stand linesman who chose to pull Hooper up when through on goal.
- 01 Forster
- 21 Mulgrew
- 25 Rogne
- 02 Matthews
- 08 Brown
- 16 Ledley
- 33 Kayal (Ki Sung-Yeung 77)
- 67 Wanyama
- 09 Samaras
- 49 Forrest
- 88 Hooper (Stokes 86; yellow card)
- 24 Zaluska,
- 06 Wilson,
- 11 Cha Du-Ri ,
- 18 Ki Sung-Yeung,
- 20 McCourt,
- 10 Stokes,
- 14 Bangura
- Ledley 52
- 01 McGregor
- 04 Broadfoot
- 05 Papac
- 12 Wallace (Healy 79 ; yellow card)
- 18 Bocanegra; yellow card
- 22 Bartley
- 06 McCulloch (Edu 79)
- 08 Davis
- 19 Aluko (Wylde 66)
- 09 Jelavic
- 11 Laffertyyellow card
- 25 Alexander,
- 03 Weir,
- 07 Edu,
- 10 Fleck,
- 27 Wylde,
- 33 Bendiksen,
- 15 Healy
- Match Report (see end of page below)
- Audio Report: Paradise Report
- (from 40:52 to 1:03:13)
- Voting Thread
- Result Thread
- Winner -
- 2011-12 Winners
- Celtic 56%
- Rangers 44%
Attempts on target
- Celtic 9
- Rangers 2
Attempts off target
- Celtic 5
- Rangers 4
- Celtic 7
- Rangers 4
- Celtic 11
- Rangers 22
Celtic 1 - 0 Rangers: Ledley’s goal sends Celtic top of the leagueThe Scotsman
Published on Wednesday 28 December 2011 22:21
JOE Ledley’s second-half goal gave Celtic victory over Rangers at Parkhead and took them two points clear of their Old Firm rivals at the top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.
The key moment of the first half came when Rangers midfielder Lee Wallace’s early header may have crossed the line before Hoops keeper Fraser Forster clawed it back.
However, after Ledley buried his header from a Charlie Mulgrew corner into the back of the net seven minutes after the break, the home side stamped their superiority on the game and ran out deserved winners.
It was Celtic’s ninth SPL win in a row and confirmed the turnaround in fortunes since November 5, when they were 15 points behind the champions, albeit with two games in hand.
Neil Lennon’s men look to have the bit between their teeth while struggling Rangers have it all to do to recapture their form and on the evidence of tonight, that is likely to need fresh faces when the January transfer window opens.
Lennon made two changes to his in-form side, both something of a surprise.
Right-back Adam Matthews replaced Cha Du-ri while defender Thomas Rogne came in for Ki Sung-yueng and swapped places with Victor Wanyama who moved into midfield.
Rangers boss Ally McCoist made three changes, one enforced after defender Dorin Goian was sent off against St Mirren at the weekend.
Kyle Bartley took Goian’s spot while Kirk Broadfoot came in for the injured Steven Whittaker and wideman Sone Aluko, instead of Maurice Edu, replaced Gregg Wylde, a decision believed to have been made after arrival at the ground.
Midfielder Lee McCulloch remained in the side after the Govan club appealed the red card picked up at St Mirren Park.
Celtic skipper Scott Brown tried to intimidate Wallace as they lined up for kick-off, staring intensely at the Rangers midfielder.
However, in the seventh minute Wallace’s header at the back post from an Aluko cross looked like it may have crossed the line before Forster forced it back onto the post.
As the driving wind gave way, but only a little, to torrential rain, Celtic took the initiative.
Brown had a drive from 14 yards saved by Allan McGregor before Hoops striker Georgios Samaras had the ball in the Light Blues’ net only to be ruled offside.
The conditions continued to dominate the game but in the 24th minute, after Aluko’s corner from the left had been headed goalwards by striker Nikica Jelavic, Rangers defender Carlos Bocanegra inadvertently helped the ball over the bar from two yards.
However, the Hoops had the best of the possession and in the 35th minute striker Gary Hooper took a Samaras knock-down, turned and forced McGregor into another save before James Forrest blazed an angled drive over the bar following a corner.
Both sides went at each other from the start of the second half but it was Celtic who struck after McGregor had tipped a great drive from Forrest over the bar for a corner.
From Mulgrew’s delivery from the right, Ledley rose high in a packed penalty area to direct his header past the Rangers keeper.
The complexion of the game changed immediately.
Rangers were on the ropes, trying desperately to stem the green and white tide and the Ibrox side were lucky to escape when Hooper appeared to be wrongly flagged offside as he raced clear of the visiting defence.
Aluko was replaced by Wylde after 66 minutes as McCoist tried to inspire a response from his side which came in the form of a couple of spectacular efforts from Jelavic, one of which flew over the bar and the other into the arms of Forster.
In the 76th minute Celtic midfielder Beram Kayal went off injured on a stretcher, to be replaced by Ki, after a clash with McCulloch which originally looked to have hurt the Ibrox player more.
Moments later, McCulloch and Wallace went off to be replaced by Edu and David Healy, who was soon booked for a scything touchline tackle on Forrest.
As the game entered the final stages, and Celtic had not sealed the win, the tension increased and the visitors looked in danger of losing the plot.
With four minutes remaining Rangers striker Kyle Lafferty was booked for a late challenge on Matthews before Anthony Stokes replaced Hooper.
There were five added minutes but Rangers, desperate as they were, failed to threaten Forster leaving Celtic deserved winners and league leaders going into 2012.
Celtic 1-0 RangersPage last updated at 21:48 GMT, Wednesday, 28 December 2011
By Colin Moffat
Ledley headed Celtic in front early in the second half Celtic leapfrogged Rangers at the top of the Scottish Premier League thanks to Joe Ledley's second-half header.
Celtic's Fraser Foster made a wonderful save from an early Lee Wallace header and was relieved to see Carlos Bocangera shoot wide from close range.
But Celtic dominated the second half and Ledley crashed in a header from a Charlie Mulgrew corner on 52 minutes.
Rangers offered little in response and Celtic made it nine league wins in a row with ease.
Having trailed by 15 points on 5 November - albeit with two games in hand, Celtic go into the new year with a two-point advantage in the title race.
Celtic did most of the pressing in a disjointed first half but the best chances fell to the visitors, who have now dropped 11 points in their last seven outings.
Six minutes had passed when Wallace raced in at the back post to meet Sone Aluko's cross from the right but Forster made a terrific save to claw the midfielder's close-range header away.
Television replays later suggested the ball had crossed the line but there was little in the way of protest from the men in blue.
On 23 minutes, an Aluko corner was nodded down by Nikica Jelavic and Bocangera could only awkwardly scoop the ball wide from inside the six yard box.
Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor was kept busy, but the saves he made to keep out shots from Scott Brown, Gary Hooper and James Forrest were routine.
Georgios Samaras found the net after reaching the scraps from Hooper's effort but the Greek striker had strayed offside.
McGregor fumbled under pressure from Samaras but the ball fell kindly for the Rangers defence before the Scotland keeper smothered another shot from Hooper.
Celtic started the second half in determined fashion, with Kyle Bartley and Bocanegra making vital blocks to thwart the home side and McGregor tipping over a rising strike from Forrest before Ledley made the breakthrough.
The Wales international simply wanted it more as he outmuscled Kirk Broadfoot at the back post to power in a header from Mulgrew's corner kick.
Buoyed by the goal, Celtic had Rangers pinned back, with the visitors defending desperately in and around their penalty box.
And the home fans were none too pleased when Hooper was erroneously flagged offside after bursting through on goal from a Samaras flick near the halfway line.
The game grew increasingly ugly and scrappy as Beram Kayal was stretched off after a crunching tackle from Lee McCulloch and Rangers substitute David Healy was guilty of a dreadful hack at Forrest.
Kyle Lafferty joined Healy in referee Willie Collum's book for a lunge at Adam Matthews, while Anthony Stokes picked up a caution for a spot of retribution on the Northern Irishman.
Rangers launched a series of hopeful balls forward in the closing minutes but Celtic were able to preserve their lead with the minimum of fuss.
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:12 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+4:40 Kyle Lafferty is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Fraser Forster.
- 90:00+4:33 The ball is delivered by Sasa Papac, Joe Ledley manages to make a clearance.
- 90:00+4:22 The ball is delivered by Kirk Broadfoot, clearance by Thomas Rogne.
- 90:00+3:48 Kirk Broadfoot takes the indirect free kick.
- 90:00+3:48 Booking Booking for Anthony Stokes for unsporting behaviour.
- 90:00+3:42 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Kyle Lafferty by Anthony Stokes.
- 90:00+2:48 Kirk Broadfoot gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James Forrest. Charlie Mulgrew takes the free kick.
- 90:00+1:18 Centre by Kyle Lafferty, Adam Matthews gets a block in.
- 90:00+0:40 The offside flag is raised against Anthony Stokes. Allan McGregor takes the free kick.
- 89:21 Free kick awarded for a foul by Georgios Samaras on Kirk Broadfoot. Indirect free kick taken by Kirk Broadfoot.
- 88:50 Kirk Broadfoot gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Georgios Samaras. Fraser Forster restarts play with the free kick.
- 88:33 The ball is delivered by Kyle Lafferty, clearance by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 86:56 Scott Brown fouled by Nikica Jelavic, the ref awards a free kick. Fraser Forster takes the indirect free kick.
- 85:20 Fraser Forster restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:20 Substitution Anthony Stokes replaces Gary Hooper.
- 85:20 Booking Kyle Lafferty is shown a yellow card.
- 85:14 Kyle Lafferty gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Adam Matthews.
- 83:36 Shot by Sung-Yeung Ki from outside the box goes over the net.
- 83:25 Georgios Samaras crosses the ball.
- 81:50 Indirect free kick taken by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 81:50 Booking Booking for David Healy.
- 81:40 James Forrest fouled by David Healy, the ref awards a free kick.
- 81:25 Sasa Papac sends in a cross, clearance by Scott Brown.
- 80:28 Handball decision goes against Maurice Edu. Free kick taken by Sung-Yeung Ki.
- 80:22 The ball is swung over by Joe Ledley, clearance by Sasa Papac.
- 80:06 The ball is sent over by James Forrest, clearance made by Kyle Lafferty.
- 79:36 Kyle Lafferty concedes a free kick for a foul on Scott Brown. Adam Matthews takes the free kick.
- 78:13 Substitution David Healy is brought on as a substitute for Lee Wallace.
- 78:13 Substitution (Rangers) makes a substitution, with Maurice Edu coming on for Lee McCulloch.
- 77:21 Adam Matthews delivers the ball, clearance by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 73:07 Adam Matthews restarts play with the free kick.
- 73:07 Substitution Sung-Yeung Ki comes on in place of Beram Kayal.
- 73:07 Free kick awarded for a foul by Lee McCulloch on Beram Kayal.
- 72:48 Georgios Samaras gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kyle Bartley. Carlos Bocanegra takes the indirect free kick.
- 71:45 The ball is crossed by Steven Davis, Charlie Mulgrew manages to make a clearance.
- 70:34 Beram Kayal fouled by Nikica Jelavic, the ref awards a free kick. Fraser Forster takes the free kick.
- 70:13 Overhead kick right-footed shot by Nikica Jelavic. Save by Fraser Forster.
- 69:45 Gregg Wylde takes the outswinging corner, clearance made by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 69:37 Centre by Kyle Bartley, clearance by Adam Matthews.
- 69:23 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Lee McCulloch by Georgios Samaras. Free kick taken by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 68:51 Effort on goal by Nikica Jelavic from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 68:10 The referee blows for offside. Allan McGregor takes the indirect free kick.
- 68:06 Beram Kayal delivers the ball.
- 67:48 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 66:38 Steven Davis gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Charlie Mulgrew. Charlie Mulgrew has an effort direct from the free kick, save made by Allan McGregor.
- 65:43 Indirect free kick taken by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 65:43 Substitution Gregg Wylde joins the action as a substitute, replacing Sone Aluko.
- 65:43 Nikica Jelavic is flagged offside by the assistant referee.
- 64:39 Nikica Jelavic gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Victor Wanyama. Charlie Mulgrew takes the indirect free kick.
- 63:50 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Charlie Mulgrew, Victor Wanyama has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide left of the goal.
- 63:37 A cross is delivered by Scott Brown, Carlos Bocanegra makes a clearance.
- 63:30 The ball is swung over by Georgios Samaras.
- 63:08 Kirk Broadfoot crosses the ball, clearance by Thomas Rogne.
- 61:19 The assistant referee signals for offside against Gary Hooper. Carlos Bocanegra restarts play with the free kick.
- 60:20 Nikica Jelavic is adjudged to have handled the ball. Fraser Forster takes the indirect free kick.
- 59:58 Foul by Victor Wanyama on Lee McCulloch, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 59:05 Beram Kayal takes the direct free kick.
- 59:05 Booking Carlos Bocanegra booked.
- 58:55 Gary Hooper fouled by Carlos Bocanegra, the ref awards a free kick.
- 57:34 Beram Kayal challenges Lee McCulloch unfairly and gives away a free kick. Carlos Bocanegra restarts play with the free kick.
- 57:00 Gary Hooper challenges Carlos Bocanegra unfairly and gives away a free kick. Carlos Bocanegra restarts play with the free kick.
- 56:05 Effort on goal by Scott Brown from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 55:26 The ball is swung over by James Forrest, Sasa Papac manages to make a clearance.
- 51:49 Charlie Mulgrew provided the assist for the goal.
- 51:49 GOAL - Joe LedleyCeltic 1 - 0 Rangers Joe Ledley grabs a headed goal from deep inside the penalty box. Celtic 1-0 Rangers.
- 51:38 Inswinging corner taken by Charlie Mulgrew from the right by-line,
- 51:18 Drilled left-footed shot by James Forrest. Allan McGregor makes a save.
- 50:18 Sasa Papac produces a cross, Adam Matthews manages to make a clearance.
- 49:32 Corner taken by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 49:23 James Forrest produces a cross, Kyle Bartley manages to make a clearance.
- 48:11 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Sone Aluko, Charlie Mulgrew manages to make a clearance.
- 47:21 Unfair challenge on Steven Davis by Beram Kayal results in a free kick. Sasa Papac takes the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:12 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 44:56 Sone Aluko crosses the ball, Charlie Mulgrew makes a clearance.
- 41:19 The ball is sent over by Charlie Mulgrew, Kirk Broadfoot makes a clearance.
- 40:43 Foul by Kyle Bartley on Georgios Samaras, free kick awarded. Charlie Mulgrew takes the direct free kick.
- 39:35 Lee Wallace challenges Beram Kayal unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Thomas Rogne.
- 39:08 James Forrest takes a shot. Kyle Bartley gets a block in.
- 37:25 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Scott Brown by Steven Davis. Fraser Forster restarts play with the free kick.
- 35:53 Unfair challenge on Nikica Jelavic by Thomas Rogne results in a free kick. Nikica Jelavic fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 35:17 Nikica Jelavic concedes a free kick for a foul on Charlie Mulgrew. Thomas Rogne takes the indirect free kick.
- 34:42 James Forrest produces a left-footed shot from inside the area that clears the crossbar.
- 34:15 Gary Hooper takes a shot. Allan McGregor makes a comfortable save.
- 33:39 Nikica Jelavic gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Charlie Mulgrew. Fraser Forster restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:27 Gary Hooper crosses the ball, clearance made by Kyle Bartley.
- 32:13 Joe Ledley challenges Kyle Lafferty unfairly and gives away a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Kirk Broadfoot.
- 31:57 A cross is delivered by Adam Matthews, clearance made by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 31:47 A cross is delivered by Gary Hooper, clearance made by Kyle Bartley.
- 30:52 Unfair challenge on Joe Ledley by Kyle Lafferty results in a free kick. Free kick crossed by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 29:51 Corner taken by Charlie Mulgrew from the left by-line, clearance made by Kyle Lafferty.
- 29:00 Sasa Papac challenges Scott Brown unfairly and gives away a free kick. Charlie Mulgrew crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from right channel, clearance by Kirk Broadfoot.
- 27:01 Sone Aluko delivers the ball, blocked by Joe Ledley.
- 25:21 A cross is delivered by James Forrest, Kyle Bartley manages to make a clearance. Outswinging corner taken by Charlie Mulgrew from the left by-line, Thomas Rogne takes a shot.
- 22:43 Corner taken left-footed by Sone Aluko, Close range effort by Carlos Bocanegra clears the crossbar.
- 22:32 The ball is swung over by Lee Wallace, blocked by Thomas Rogne.
- 19:54 Georgios Samaras gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lee McCulloch. Indirect free kick taken by Lee McCulloch.
- 19:26 Effort on goal by Kyle Lafferty from just outside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 19:19 Centre by Kirk Broadfoot, clearance made by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 18:31 James Forrest takes a shot. Comfortable save by Allan McGregor.
- 16:22 Effort from 25 yards by Gary Hooper. Allan McGregor makes a save. Georgios Samaras is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Allan McGregor.
- 15:46 Effort on goal by Scott Brown from 12 yards. Save by Allan McGregor.
- 13:49 Kyle Bartley challenges Georgios Samaras unfairly and gives away a free kick. Charlie Mulgrew takes the free kick.
- 10:31 The assistant referee flags for offside against Kyle Lafferty. Free kick taken by Fraser Forster.
- 9:54 The ball is crossed by Adam Matthews.
- 8:23 Unfair challenge on Adam Matthews by Sone Aluko results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 8:13 Georgios Samaras takes a shot. Blocked by Kirk Broadfoot.
- 7:30 Corner taken by Charlie Mulgrew, Lee McCulloch manages to make a clearance.
- 6:27 Outswinging corner taken by Lee McCulloch from the right by-line played to the near post, Joe Ledley makes a clearance.
- 6:07 Centre by Sone Aluko, Lee Wallace has a headed effort at goal from close in that hits the post.
- 6:01 Sone Aluko delivers the ball, Scott Brown manages to make a clearance.
- 5:54 Kirk Broadfoot produces a cross, Beram Kayal manages to make a clearance.
- 4:28 James Forrest delivers the ball, clearance by Sasa Papac.
- 3:57 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Thomas Rogne by Kyle Lafferty. Free kick taken by Fraser Forster.
- 1:45 Georgios Samaras delivers the ball, Kirk Broadfoot gets a block in.
- 0:28 Steven Davis concedes a free kick for a foul on Victor Wanyama. Free kick crossed by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Latest page update: made by joebloggscity
, Jul 12 2012, 3:16 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by joebloggscity
8 words added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page